Popped a seam

Simon_CSK

Caught the back panel on the gate post reversing a trailer in my driveway. Been meaning to cut off the old gate hangers for years having nicked them a few times grr.
Anyway I have pulled the rear quarter off the rear wing. It looks like they were spot welded and then fitted is this correct? Is there anyway to reconnect without taking the wing off?

If you're referring to the rear quarter panel that on the side has the rear window .

Remove the rear bumper. It doesn't have to be removed entirely but it has to hang down enough to allow the panel to be removed and replaced, personally I'd remove it even though this means disconnecting the repeater indicators and rear lights.

Disconnect the cables to the rear light cluster and remove the lens/bulb assembly.

Remove the countersunk screws on the inside of the rear doorway. (the door can stay)

Remove the retaining screws & bolts from the inside of the rear wheel arch and above the inside of the rear window,

If the panel is the driver's side disconnect the aerial and disconnect and remove the fuel filler connecting pipe and breather hose.

From memory the single screw at the rear of the wheel arch also has to be removed.

With a case opener cut the sikaflex joint between the rear panel and the roof gutter, once cut insert a hacksaw blade, sharpened on a grinder to "saw" through any remaining sikaflex.

Remove the entire panel. This is a two man job as the window is still in the panel and its quite heavy.

Repair any damage while the panel is off.

The rear back panel is spot welded onto the rear side, on mine this is where the damage was, - just above the rear light cluster (letter box 1, Disco 0) and to repair it - knocking out the dent, the panel had to be removed so I drilled out the spot welds and later replaced the welds with s/s bolts, washers and nylock nuts, if you do this remember to apply a bead of sikaflex to the joint before you fit and tighten the nuts.

Your hardware/engineering store, if it's any good, will have special spot welding drills, get about three 3.5 mm diameter drills.These drills have an inner carbide drill tip and an outer auger to cut away the spot weld, great bits of kit.

Remove ALL traces of the original sikaflex off both the panel and the underside of the gutter! I used acetate and a plastic scourer, it took me a good hour of careful scrubbing to remove every trace :angry2: it's very adhesive stuff ! This is very important as any existing sikaflex will cause the new joint to be thicker than required and remember to wear protective gloves.

To replace the panel, just reverse the above procedure but first apply new sikaflex to the panel.

A trick here, before you apply the sikaflex carefully put a strip of masking tape over the panel and the outer edges of the underside of the gutter so that when you wipe off any excess sikaflex that is squeezed out it doesn't end up on the paintwork. Apply a good bead of sikaflex but remember the final joint is only going to be about 1.5 - 3mm deep at best.

With an assistant lift the panel up at a slight angle leaning into the car and press the panel up to the roof gutter and then into the final position.

Replace all the screws, bolts hoses lights etc. Happy days and finally get rid of the obstacle you reversed into ^_^

If you're referring to the rear quarter panel that on the side has the rear window .

Remove the rear bumper. It doesn't have to be removed entirely but it has to hang down enough to allow the panel to be removed and replaced, personally I'd remove it even though this means disconnecting the repeater indicators and rear lights.

Disconnect the cables to the rear light cluster and remove the lens/bulb assembly.

Remove the countersunk screws on the inside of the rear doorway. (the door can stay)

Remove the retaining screws & bolts from the inside of the rear wheel arch and above the inside of the rear window,

If the panel is the driver's side disconnect the aerial and disconnect and remove the fuel filler connecting pipe and breather hose.

From memory the single screw at the rear of the wheel arch also has to be removed.

With a case opener cut the sikaflex joint between the rear panel and the roof gutter, once cut insert a hacksaw blade, sharpened on a grinder to "saw" through any remaining sikaflex.

Remove the entire panel. This is a two man job as the window is still in the panel and its quite heavy.

Repair any damage while the panel is off.

The rear back panel is spot welded onto the rear side, on mine this is where the damage was, - just above the rear light cluster (letter box 1, Disco 0) and to repair it - knocking out the dent, the panel had to be removed so I drilled out the spot welds and later replaced the welds with s/s bolts, washers and nylock nuts, if you do this remember to apply a bead of sikaflex to the joint before you fit and tighten the nuts.

Your hardware/engineering store, if it's any good, will have special spot welding drills, get about three 3.5 mm diameter drills.These drills have an inner carbide drill tip and an outer auger to cut away the spot weld, great bits of kit.

Remove ALL traces of the original sikaflex off both the panel and the underside of the gutter! I used acetate and a plastic scourer, it took me a good hour of careful scrubbing to remove every trace :angry2: it's very adhesive stuff ! This is very important as any existing sikaflex will cause the new joint to be thicker than required and remember to wear protective gloves.

To replace the panel, just reverse the above procedure but first apply new sikaflex to the panel.

A trick here, before you apply the sikaflex carefully put a strip of masking tape over the panel and the outer edges of the underside of the gutter so that when you wipe off any excess sikaflex that is squeezed out it doesn't end up on the paintwork. Apply a good bead of sikaflex but remember the final joint is only going to be about 1.5 - 3mm deep at best.

With an assistant lift the panel up at a slight angle leaning into the car and press the panel up to the roof gutter and then into the final position.

Replace all the screws, bolts hoses lights etc. Happy days and finally get rid of the obstacle you reversed into ^_^

Boydie

Thanks.

All the pop rivets are popped so once I remove the panel I will have two parts. I think to be honest I will temporarily stitch them together with a plate externally and once the better weather comes I will fit a new wing and rear quarter. Having done some research and read what you wrote it is a simple unbolt and bolt job. Saves having dented panels on the car.

Yes I cut them off to avoid damaging the car more when I was trying to get off the gate post. Part of the problem was I was very tired and when I get so tired I become very clumsy.