LS3 discovery Differentials

muddy4x4xfar

Im currently in the process of building a discovery 1993 edition, it will very soon have a LS3 500hp engine in it.

ill be running 235/70/16 AT tyres

uprated LT230 transfer box,

im currently stuck as to what diffs to use. Iv been looking at the Ashcroft lockers but im not sure as to whether they will handle the power/ torque?

any ideas guys?

cheers

• Like 1

Another thread?

Surely your best bet would be to run them as is and see how it performs first. Then look at upgrading once you've done some shake down miles. If you need to re-gear, then would be the time to do it.

The diff centre also isn't really the weakest part of the drivetrain, so you'll want to consider far more than just locking diffs.

You intended use (which from other threads seem vague at best), will have some bearing on what the driveline needs to cope with. If you really are having 500hp, then using it all will likely be a challenge. If it's a matter of flooring it while cruising at 60mph on tarmac, then that is hugely different stresses to full bore launches on a grippy surface or serious off roading with wheels in the air.

BTW - I'd have thought an LSD would be far more useful than a full locker based on what you've said previously.

Another thread?

Surely your best bet would be to run them as is and see how it performs first. Then look at upgrading once you've done some shake down miles. If you need to re-gear, then would be the time to do it.

The diff centre also isn't really the weakest part of the drivetrain, so you'll want to consider far more than just locking diffs.

You intended use (which from other threads seem vague at best), will have some bearing on what the driveline needs to cope with. If you really are having 500hp, then using it all will likely be a challenge. If it's a matter of flooring it while cruising at 60mph on tarmac, then that is hugely different stresses to full bore launches on a grippy surface or serious off roading with wheels in the air.

BTW - I'd have thought an LSD would be far more useful than a full locker based on what you've said previously.

my problem is, i know all what I'm wanting to do has been done, its just finding out what people have used and whats good on the market, but then when i get the advice i get mixed messages from people , and that make stuff worse, i know the standard diffs will just mash up , so just trying to get an idea on what everyone use. i know there will be more powerful or torquey engines than what I'm using so there has to be something out there that will handle it all.

Best bet on the diff front is to give Nige a ring at Megasquirt V8 ltd. otherwise known as Hybrid_from_hell on here. You'll probably want the diffs pegged as well.

hi thank you, i had already decided to peg them . trying to make it all as strong as possible. might be thinking a bit over the top about it all but i want to do it right first time

hd crown wheels pegged should sort the diffs out, and hd halfshafts and cv's should sort the axles out. atb center diff should sort the lt230 out so all you have to worry about then is the gearbox.....

the gear box will be from a Camaro ls3 6L80e transmission, I'm told is a strong gearbox to choose that or the 4l80e but as i do a lot of highway driving I'm hoping the extra 2 gears on the 6L80e might drop the revs off ,

What's your usage?

Does your Disco already have ABS/ETC? Or if not can you retrofit it? Must admit, for everyday, real-world applications I prefer having the intelligence of electronics doing the torque-biasing and assessing the situation tens of times a second rather than brute-force manually-invoked locking-things-up (and overloading/breaking things...).

Also - remember the 99/1 rule: don't compromise 99% of your everyday driving experience for the sake of the 1% of 'extreme' stuff. You say you do a lot of highway-driving, so I'd instinctively opt for the 'softest' options.

(here speaks someone who's regularly done 1000-mile round-trips in a TD5 Defender towing a 3.5Tonne load; trust me, good soundproofing beats difflocks every time!]

Tanuki - ABS/ETC will not help the drivetrain the way clever diffs & clutches do in modern vehicles, all it can do is brake wheels that have lost traction.

TBH nothing you can do to a rover drivetrain is going to live a long and happy life behind 500hp, all you can do is put the best bits on you can afford and employ that rarest of modifications: mechanical sympathy.