Td5 switch info

Does anyone know if any switches are interchangeable between the disco td5 and the def td5,

E/w

Heated seats

Rear Demister

Front heated screen

Cheers ross

The TD5 Defender electric windows switches were lifted straight out of the pre-facelift Discovery-2 (1999 - 2002), and are exactly the same part numbers (front windows switches only, the Discovery-2 rear windows switches are different, and use a different coloured connector).

The front electric windows switches from a facelift Discovery-2 (2003 - 2004) will also work - but, they're 'Black', whereas the pre-facelift Discovery-2 and Defender ones are 'Ash Grey'.

The TD5 Defender heated seat switches were also lifted straight out of the pre-facelift Discovery-2 (1999 - 2002), and are exactly the same part numbers.

The heated seat switches from a facelift Discovery-2 (2003 - 2004) will also work - but, they're 'Black', whereas the pre-facelift Discovery-2 and Defender ones are 'Ash Grey'.

The Discovery-2 heated rear window (HRW) switch shares the same switch front as the Defender (pre-facelift/facelift colours, as above) - but, switches differently.

On the Defender, the HRW switch is a latching, live-switching switch.

On the Discovery-2, the HRW switch is momentary, earth-switching switch, working in conjuction with the Body Control Unit (BCU).

They also use different coloured (and keyed) 5-way connectors -

The Defender uses the Blue 5-way connector.

The Discovery-2 uses the Black 5-way connector.

The Discovery-2 and Defender heated front screen (HFS) switches share the same switch front (pre-facelift/facelift colours, as above), and are electrically identical, they are both momentary, earth-switching switches - but, they both use different coloured connectors -

The Defender switch works in conjunction with the timer relay, and uses a White 5-way connector.

The Discovery-2 switch works in conjunction with the BCU, and uses a Green 5-way connector.

There may also be differences between the moulded keyways on the switch's bodies - but, these are easily removed with a sharp knife.

Wow you are the go to guy and switch info thank you very much , I've been a little confused regards heat seat switches as come seam long and others seam tall if that makes sense I'm after the taller style but the £50 on line.

This also explains why the disco hrw switch will not run my defender , so the defender switch you have to physically turn on and off? Where as the disco one is momentary ?

I'm looking at buying a disco switch panel which has 4 e/w switches and 2 heated seat ones . So these will work in a def

Wow you are the go to guy and switch info thank you very much , I've been a little confused regards heat seat switches as come seam long and others seam tall if that makes sense I'm after the taller style but the £50 on line.

This also explains why the disco hrw switch will not run my defender , so the defender switch you have to physically turn on and off? Where as the disco one is momentary ?

I'm looking at buying a disco switch panel which has 4 e/w switches and 2 heated seat ones . So these will work in a def

The TD5 (Defender and Discovery-2) heated seat switches are 'portrait' -

YUG102430.jpg

The TDCi Puma heated seat switches are 'landscape' (and a lot cheaper than the TD5 type) -

optoly_gb_l316_n-022am.jpg

The heated seat switches (TD5 and Puma) are wired the same as the Defender heated rear window switch.

So, you could use the Discovery-2 heated rear window switch front on a Puma heated seat switch.

The Discovery-2 front windows switches and heated seat switches are exactly the same switches as used in the TD5 Defender - so, will work OK icon_thumbup.gif

• 6 years later...

I know this is a very old topic, but I hope someone can help.

BTW, this is my first post here - I'm active on other forums but it's nice to meet you all!  I'm currently fitting a genuine Puma dash into my 2002 TD5 HT and going through all sorts of fun and games, although 90% there now!

My challenge is that I only have 1 spare switch free on my new Puma dash and I'd like to fit a single rear wash/wipe switch. I currently have a rear wash/wiper running from a single Carling switch.

The Pumas appear to have separate switches for rear wash and rear wipe, but I don't have the space for both.

The Disco 2 has what looks like a single switch (YUE000210PUY) so I am wondering if that will work and then I can replace the bigger switch face with one from a Puma switch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I converted my Td5 to a single switch for rear wash / wipe - but I can’t for the life of me remember how I did it. It’s a momentary switch - one press activates the wiper and holding it down the washer jet. 

I’ll see if I can find anything on it.

That Discovery 2 switch won't work for what you want it to do.

The majority of Discovery 2 switches (including YUE100600 (pre-facelift) and YUE000220PUY (facelift)) switch a BCU signal wire to earth.

The rear wash/wipe functions are then initiated by the BCU (Body Control Unit).

As an aside, switch part numbers that have a PUY suffix, are Black.

Switch part numbers that have no suffix, or a LNF suffix, are Ash Grey, which is the correct colour for pre-facelift Discovery 2 and Defenders from 2002 to 2016.

It's easy to make the standard Defender rear washer switch (YUE000070LNF) also operate the rear wiper - however, the wiper (and washer) will only operate for as long as you hold the button down.

Another option would be to add additional switch carriers.

A member on the Defender2 forum (mcma1) has had some injection moulded, in 1-way, 2-way, and 3-way -

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49880.html

normal_file1-3.jpeg

normal_file4-3.jpeg

normal_file2-3.jpeg

The ideal place to fit them, is below the stereo -

normal_normal_5B1DF7D6-5C31-4BDA-A89E-74

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulMc said:

It's easy to make the standard Defender rear washer switch (YUE000070LNF) also operate the rear wiper - however, the wiper (and washer) will only operate for as long as you hold the button down.

Worth saying that’s never been an issue for me. 

Thank you all for your help.

I only have 1 spare switch on my double din panel so I think the suggestion of combining the function might be the best option

@PaulMc from your earlier post am I right in thinking that I can use a Disco TD5 heated front screen switch in a Defender TD5, but I can't use a Disco heated rear window switch because they work differently?