Hi guys simple one (he says har har)

I've a post 1997 licence (just cat B) no E Always motorbike and side car before

200TDI 110

Sankey trailer (standard not wide track)

What can I pull/tow can I even tow it ?????

The Government web site says .......Gobbledygook to me

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Thanks there

I'm pretty sure weigh bridge weight is somewhat irrelevant. My understanding is it's the max authorised mass of vehicle and trailer that are taken into account. The 110's MAM is normally between 3050kg and 3500kg. So no you cannot tow a sankey unfortunately. You are limited to a trailer with MAM 750kg.

Can you re plate the sankey to 750kg?

Also have they changed the legalities of pulling a 3500kg mam trailer with a vehicle that's towing limit is say 3000kg even though the trailer is not fully loaded as I thought that's why they changed the wording to mass/weight?

The test is very straightforward ( well there is abit of reversing) but I would reccamend half a days training to get the hitching process and the answers to the questions right in your mind.

Will.

I only tow every few years but want to be legal when I do so ............Even tho I've all ready been stopped by the police for a missing number plate on the trailer which was loaded up with 300-400 paving slabs and not a single mention about me having a towing licence (I didn't even know you had to have one )

I've been all over the country towing with a fully loaded up 110 with the roof rack fully loaded etc 7 kids in the landy, dogs and sankey loaded to overflowing ..................Have done it for years ignorance is bliss ........then some one told me about a towing licence ..........and ruined my dreamy world of towing ignorance

I had the same problem/question but using a 90 and not a 110. I phoned the DVLA, then vosa, got passed around and given many different answers. After asking to talk to a department manager they confirmed its still MAM of both and not as the new wording might suggest .

I did the B+E test and the guys at the test centre confirmed the same. The following week I hired a trailer and the guy in the shop told me vosa pulled a customer and fined him despite the fact the combo was under 3500kg total because the MAM was higher .

Did 3hrs with an instructor and then did the test, it's not that hard to do...

I also drove round totally illegally with boats/diggers/plant on the back of my 90 for many years before I realised. I even had a shunt with the IFOR 3.5 ton on the back when I was 18 (in 2002) and the police made no mention of it!

Don't think you would get away with it now. I did my C+E in the end as wanted to be able to drive 7.5 ton and tow a trailer. Was the same money to do C1+E or C+E

I was at one point in the amusing situation where I had my C entitlement allowing me to drive an 8 wheel tipper...but not put the little 1.5 ton mini digger on the back of my 90! I know which is more challenging to drive!!

I was at one point in the amusing situation where I had my C entitlement allowing me to drive an 8 wheel tipper...but not put the little 1.5 ton mini digger on the back of my 90! I know which is more challenging to drive!!

thats the infuriating position im in at the moment....