Body change notify dvla?? Info

Hi all

Just after a bit of info regarding body changes,

I have a 2003 td5 hd ex utility and im rebuilding it with a 5 door body , and can't find a clear answer to telling dvla/ process for changing details and registering as a sw/utility wagon

It had a recon engine before I got it but as far as I'm aware everything else is original . It's stripped bk to a chassis at the moment and I'm trying to keep it as original as possible apart from tub,side panels doors, roof, wings, and interior upgrade to tdci rear seats using the correct cross member

Could anyone point me in the right direction ?

Cheers Ross

You can retain the original roof as it's no different to a station wagon roof. = one less part to buy provided your roof isn't full of holes for lights/brackets.

The VIN/chassis number will tell DVLA the original body type, station wagons have a 7th letter in the VIN which is 'M' to denote 5 door station wagon body, so you cannot change the original VIN info.

tell your insurance company & if they are happy with the change, then on the V5 reg document in the body type section changes just write 'Estate' & send it in.

my '89 110CSW has 'Estate on my V5 from new. no mention of seating capacity on my V5 either [it was a 12 seater when new, but has been a 5 seater since 1995] only need to inform insurance.

there's no need to mention number of seats to DVLA for a private vehicle, only mention number of seats if the now station wagon bodied vehicle will be used as a bus = carrying fare paing passengers or can be hired as a minibus for otings when hired by various clubs/societys/groups.

Well just checked the v5 and doesn't say anything about amount of seats or doors just says light 4x4 utility, do I guess as long as I tell my insurance it's a 6 seater 5 door everything will be good?

Roof will need replacing as the old one is totally dead

Well just checked the v5 and doesn't say anything about amount of seats or doors just says light 4x4 utility, do I guess as long as I tell my insurance it's a 6 seater 5 door everything will be good?

Roof will need replacing as the old one is totally dead

I'm not sure you need to do anything. Your insurer won't know any more than the DVLA. So 4x4 utility with no number of seats listed would seem to cover it.