Front prop shaft, what's this?

I've started this thread in case members who had read the previous thread on my front prop shaft don't read the update. This is a new, but related, question. I trust this is acceptable, but if not, Mods, please move as appropriate.

I separated the two sections of the front prop shaft, with loving caresses from my mallet, and found that the male splines seem to have a ferrous metallic laminate - attracted to a magnet - on the outer surface, which is delaminating from the parent metal. If I could upload a photo I would show you :(. "Attach Files" doesn't seem to be working.

Is it usual to have this surface layer, which seems to be several thou thick, on the splines, and if so, am I looking at future problems because it is delaminating?

Any views on the delaminating, or the photo upload problem, will be very much appreciated.

Mike

There is normally a coating on the splines as you describe. Mine was also just starting to delaminate when I looked at it last year, I decided to just grease it up and stick it back together, not really the most intellectual of solutions but it hadn't caused me a problem up to that point so I thought I'd wait and see. (Still fine btw)

most props have a rilsan plastic type coating on the splines, it helps the splined section slide when greased, don't remove it if damaged, the working clearance between both sections will be lost, if you have any doubts about it's serviceability then replace the prop.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for this info, and now that I've given the splines a good clean I can confirm that the disbonding material is a thin plastic layer. It appears to be only the one spline that is significantly affected, so I'm planning on continuing to use this shaft.

But I am now facing another problem. I'm attempting to replace the rear UJ in the front prop shaft. I've got part no. RTC3291, which appears to be the correct part, according to the Paddocks site, although they also stock RTC3458, which is the part given in my parts manual. I chose the RTC3291 because it has a grease nipple and the other one is a no-greaser.

However, the RTC3291, which came in a GKN box, is 1.2mm larger across its diameter than the old UJ that I've removed. This means that I can't fit the second circlip. Has anybody come across this problem before, and if so, how did you solve it? The caps have an end thickness of about 3mm, so would grinding 0.6mm off each cap be acceptable?

Last month I used a RTC3291 to replace the rear UJ in my rear prop shaft and there was no problem with dimensions.

post-1947-0-04471500-1450644614_thumb.jpg

In the photo above, the old UJ is on the left, measuring 74.46mm top to bottom, and the new one is on the right, measuring 75.38mm top to bottom.

All and any help will be gratefully received.

Mike

They do come in two sizes and I don't think that making a bigger one fit is the right thing to do at all.

I do think that you need to use the same as you have removed. It's a pity the dimensions are show on those sites. I can't remember the size of the one I have changed though, I'm sorry.

The RTC3458 is available with a grease nipple (e.g. here ) and on the Paddock site it is sold as the TVC100010.

I wasn't aware that there are two sizes, but I don't think that I have the wrong size since I fitted RTC3291 last month with no trouble at all. Also, I have successfully fitted one pair of cups, ie half of the UJ, with their retaining circlips, without any problem.

But, I have just found my problem. Having been ever so careful fitting the cups over the pegs, I still managed to displace one of the roller bearings and this was preventing the cup going fully home. I've just stripped it all down again and refitted the cups, and there's no problem now.

Please accept my apologies for wasting time, and thank you for your suggestions.

Mike