New doors

reb78

I need four new doors for the 110. Already have the rear door. My current middle rows are beyond repair really. Where have you guys bought doors from? SPLandrovers prices seemed to have hiked lately i think - I'm sure they were around £250+VAT last year so what i had saved now isnt enough!

Their supply is quite variable. They usually have the pre 2006 front and second row doors in stock only for a few weeks at a time. The post 2006 ones they currently have are typically more expensive anyway.

But they will probably get more expensive over time as the number of genuine spares reduce. The commitment to provide 15 years of supply of spares for the Defender, actually means they're making all of the body panel spares now before production finishes; enough to last 15 years. So for body panels at least, there will be a limited supply from next year and I expect that they won't make any more if demand increases. Doors and bulkheads are pretty much the only sections of body that use robots on the line, so they would be more expensive to just "throw together" than the other bits of body.

I bought a couple of sets of genuine doors from dealer at a good discount, I think they cost me under £300 each brand new crated which was less than second hand ones were going for on eBay.

The old style welded construction doors will never be as good as the new type, they are so much better. All three of my defenders now have them fitted.

Quality issues, maybe limited to the galvanised skins, but on some of the folds there were inconsistencies, and buckling that was visible from the outside. I appreciate that steel skins are much harder to fold than the ali but some may find the imperfections unacceptable. There were also issues with the lining up of bolt holes with the winder carrier that needed easing a few mm's, and the actual brackets carrying the winder mechanism was different on the original 200tdi ones and I had to fabricate some additional ones. All in all, not a problem as I have the kit and wherewithal to make things work. If I was just buying something expecting it to be a straightforward swap, or a garage charging for a job then it would be annoying to have all those extra little bits to sort out.

I bought a couple of sets of genuine doors from dealer at a good discount, I think they cost me under £300 each brand new crated which was less than second hand ones were going for on eBay.

The old style welded construction doors will never be as good as the new type, they are so much better. All three of my defenders now have them fitted.

Now, that is interesting.... I presume these are Puma doors? Would they fit on a 1989 model (on that bulkhead you sold me actually!).

Yes they are puma doors ( incorrect really as they were fitted to 05 td5's)

They fit fine. I make up two small brackets with my spot welder to hold the winder mechanism plate as the lower mounting holes are different - the top holes are all the same. The door cards need a very slight trim but not noticeable when fitted.

They don't flex, they shut nicely, water does not collect at the bottom as there is a water channel and big drain holes. They are galvanised and don't rot- My parents have a nine year old td5 living outside and not a hint of any rust on them

may be worth waiting or messaging sp landrover as usually they do a xmas/new years deal on sets of doors. :)

Cool. Will do that too. I have sent a message to Duckworths Land Rover as they support a few other forums that I am on and may do a decent deal on the doors, but I am not in a rush. I still need to get my bulkhead galvanised and then sprayed as the doors will be done at the same time as the bulkhead (hopefully in the spring).

I've just had two of the galv doors from SP delivered. They're not painted yet but look good quality.

Looks like I will need to make a bracket to hold the bottom of the winder mechanism which is a bit annoying but given the price compared to second hand on eBay and the fact that they will last, they seem good to me.

Service from SP was good.

David

I suspect that the price increase might have something to do with Land Rover claiming the use of the words 'land rover' in the co name was illegal. ... Their now called sp4x4..... it costs money to fight such things and then re brand everything when you lose .....

That actually happened to a company a friend of mine owns - not with Land Rover - but it was very damaging.

I suspect that the price increase might have something to do with Land Rover claiming the use of the words 'land rover' in the co name was illegal. ... Their now called sp4x4..... it costs money to fight such things and then re brand everything when you lose .....

Sooo....... Dan at Duckworths in Market Rasen, Lincs got back to me.

Prices for front doors are £323.96 including VAT and the middle rows are £435.00 including VAT. So, I am going to have the fronts from Duckworths and order the rears from SP 4x4.

Rear/tailgate doors for those that need them are £350 including VAT from Duckworths.

All of the doors from LR are Puma spec, so steel skin (galvanised) along with a galvanised steel frame. I asked why the middle rows were so expensive and Dan said that they went up £94 each this year - so I am gutted i didnt buy these sooner!

Hope thats some help to everyone. Dans details are here if anyone needs them - 01673 849873 or danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

reb78, how bad are your doors? . If you change them and want shot of the old ones let me know.

I think mine are beyond hope and I'd like to have some to mess about with rather than have mine off the road.

The middle rows are horrid, I think the skin is about the only thing holding them together. The fronts are ok but since I'm going to get the bulkhead, middle row and rear doors all sprayed and replaced I figured I'd go the whole hog and do the lot. You're welcome to them when they come off though.

You will also need 2x LR029309 lower door seals for the fronts, and the newer seals for the rears too- these may be the first door seals for the defender that actually "seal" too - they are much better than the previous rivet on type lower seal.

The prices for the the new type back door have doubled in 18 months - I had a dinged rear door and bought a new bare door from SP for £159.

Here's a taster, my last pair of new genuine doors from my stash!

ee70a1f6890dce16456519e515a14361_zpslwiz