v8classic

I'm back! I've eventually got the engine started 3.5 V8 on twin Su carbs and it's ticking over fine on the choke but as soon as I turn the choke off it splutters and stalls. I have tried adjusting the mixture but to no avail. Even if I try to give the engine a bit of throttle it still fails. Any ideas? Cheers

Have a look at what the damper pistons are doing when you close the choke - is it possible there is some restriction in the air tract and are the engine breathers clear. Disconnect the breather from the rocker to the carb and see if it changes.

I've seen a bit of excess back pressure ram the damper pistons up when the choke opens and the mixture goes mega rich.. if you loosen the oil filler cap and see whether it changes.

But it looks sounds like something air related not fuel or mixture setting

Excellent I will have a look at that this weekend. I think the pistons are permanently down but that could be wrong. How do I check for an air leak? Spray easy start and see if the Rickover raises? The oil filler to the engine or on the top of the carbs? Thanks for the help guys.

Evening all a bit of an update for you and hopefully a bit more help for me. Checked the breathers they are clear. Opened the oil filler and ran it with that open but no real change there either. I did notice I had coolant resting on the valley gasket so I have stripped the inlet manifold off to see what's leaking. Any tips for the best way to put that back on. May that be where the air leak could be? I also checked the pistons too and they were down when it opened the throttle they moved up slightly. It's really strange it just won't rev or idle!