Overfinch range rovers, what chevy v8s were fitted?

Landrovergal

Agreed , but maybe it's for a rebuild of an early 2 door Overfinch or some such . Although even then it would be a perfect chance to modernise with something nice ...

Give us a bit of background Lacey and you will find some experienced V8 nuts on here

And welcome to The landRover forum too

cheers

Steveb

The reason I ask, a friend of mine has recently been given a full chevy v8, gm400 and Ferguson transferbox removed from an Overfinch.

At the same time he was also given 3 other chevy v8'.

(Also got given set of 5 fedimas)

The engine he intends to use is a carbed 5.7 we think.

He has said he will donate one of the other engines to me.

I can't turn my nose up at cubic inches!

The reason I ask, a friend of mine has recently been given a full chevy v8, gm400 and Ferguson transferbox removed from an Overfinch.

:o

I seem to recall an AWDC commitee member in the 90's (don't think it was Richard but might be) who bought a brand new standard RRC (black springs to mind) and when he took it in for its first service it had a Chevy in it and a really nice rear bobtail. I would loved to have seen the dealers face!

Given????? [Hack cough splutter]

I believe Overfinch also replaced the front brakes and stiffened up the suspension as well. There's nothing wrong with "vintage" motoring in the form of cast-iron Yankiness with a carby on top. Obviously it's not going to be as top-notch as something injected and more modern but it will be fun nonetheless.

I don't know what they did to cool these things, given in standard form they can have a hard enough time in a hot climate. (I think Overfinch solved it by keeping the cars in Britain? :wacko: )

Free cubic inches is a good incentive to do something for sure . So what sort of spec is the one you are having?

The CI V8's are still great fun , I have a mate who builds '32 5window coupe hotrods in the classic style with 351ci V8's

Didn't Alvin Smith's later Strange Rover have a 5.7 litre chevy in the back ?

cheers

Steveb

Free cubic inches is a good incentive to do something for sure . So what sort of spec is the one you are having?

The CI V8's are still great fun , I have a mate who builds '32 5window coupe hotrods in the classic style with 351ci V8's

Didn't Alvin Smith's later Strange Rover have a 5.7 litre chevy in the back ?

cheers

Steveb

A lot of the top compers at that time used them which is why anything LR above 3.5 is uncompetitive. It is more recently ish that the compact top cars seem to use BMW M3 engines possibly for the same reason?

From what I remember the 5.7 was available in a number of american cars and vans, for some reason the firing order is different in a panel van to the (I want to say Camero but I'm not sure) and the one my mate had was a van engine. It had extra engine mounts and a 3-speed Chrysler slush box, I think the one LR themselves used.

I don't know how fast it really was but it sure could drink like a yank tank.

We had a 7.2 Schuler RRC that had a 3 speed chrysler box and a FF gearbox complete with maxarat ABS system. It also had 15" wheels, lowered springs with modified suspension arms, large front brakes and air assisted dampers on the back.

Currently we have a 4.6 soft dash overfinch that had modified EAS, quick rack steering, secondary door seals, some interior modification and a 4.6 Rover V8 with an apprently modified ecu and different cam.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos of the Schuler/Overfinch as promised;

Range%20Rover%20Chassis%20006.jpg

Range%20Rover%20Chassis%20003-01.jpg

Range%20Rover%20Chassis%20013.jpg

Front suspension

Range%20Rover%20Chassis%20012.jpg

Rear twin shocks with air assist

It used the FF transfer box, from Jensen FF fame. The was also a Schuler exhaust. Sadly sold a long time ago to one of the sales people at Rimmer Brothers.

It looked like this when finished;

Newby%20Hall%20018.jpg

• Like 1

That's pretty subtle all built up . Which V8 is that ? The rear antiroll-bar set up with it over the top of the axle is unusual . I came across a similar set up on a hybrid last year that actually bound up when one wheel was up but the vertical links look longer on your pics

cheers

Steveb