defender door top studs

Tom17

hi all

i have a 90 canvas top with half doors

the doors were bought new around a year ago and one thing that is really bothering me is whoever has produced them has used crappy bolts that are rusting.

this means rusty water sitting in all the door channels and it hasn't become a problem yet but it will one day

any suggestions?

has anybody every changed the studs to a stainless steel bolt?

I had a snapped one on mine so got a length of M10 stainless stud bar and turned it down (read filed down whilst in a pillar drill. I've bought a lathe since) on one end then ran a die down it to give me about 10mm of M8 thread. The M8 end goes up through the hole in the bottom and locates in the thread under the window runner. Leaving the M10 section hanging out of the bottom to go down through the top of the door.

Mike

There is a tread insert that the stud goes into but be careful not to loosen it when you remove the stud. Standard ones are coated in zinc passifate (silvery gold sheen) this should last 5-10 years. Coating them with grease or copper slip when fitting will increase longevity.

Mike

I had the problem Mike describes with the bolt stuck in the threaded insert. In the end I had to drill it out leaving a hole into the upper door channel. I then made up a solid block that could be slid down the inside of the channel (through the hole wihere the window lock mechanism is located. I drilled the block and tapped it to M12 and was able to use a length of threaded bar to replicate the original set up. Works fine.