Pyrenees mountains trip

Passing Phase

• 1 month later...

There are only about 6 roads in and out of Andorra, three of them are main roads with customs/passport control. At least two of the other three are 'smugglers' routes - rough tracks, no authorities - and they are all marked on Googlemaps. 5 minutes 'homework' will find them. ;)

Just in case, if you were thinking of 'smuggling' anything, I *almost* always meet Guarda Civils patrolling when I use these tracks, so be advised. IIRC limits are 200 fags and 1l spirits (yes, the 3l bottle of JD in the supermarket is tempting!). Best you find out before travel. I always leave Andorra with a full tank of fuel, it is usually super cheap but be warned that the quality of the fuel may not be what you are used to. It works fine but I get black smoke, not helped by altitude.

Have fun

Chris

Chris - I've known about the excellent western smuggler's route to/from Andorra (via Tor as mentioned within this thread) but I believe there is one in the south as well. Tried to find it last time I was in Andorra, but as I'm sure you are aware, trying to find it driving south is a nightmare. Would be better heading north, that way you haven't got a city in the way! As it happens, later this year I will be travelling from Spain up into France, so this would be the ideal opportunity to find this "southern smuggler's route".

Do you know of this route, or have you any idea which map I could purchase which shows the route ... that's if it exists at all that is!

Any assistance would be appreciated. BTW, if you don't want to make the route public knowledge, then I can be emailed on 4x4trading@talk21.com

Cheers!

An open invitation to lr4x4 forum members:-

Having escaped cold dank England, I now live in a little village called Sant Boi de Lluçanès in Catalonia, Spain, midway between Barcelona and Andorra. Christmas Day was 17 degrees, that in itself speaks volumes! Therefore if anybody wants to drop in en route, it's open house here. 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and plenty of room to pitch roof/ground tents.

I recently checked out the local tracks in the mountains just surrounding the village. Starting only two streets from the casa, 49 miles of off-road bliss later, I completed a rather large circle and ended back at where I started!

And BTW, for wine you go to the local village shop, massive barrels of red, self-service into your own plastic bottles, all for 1.60 euros a litre!!! Happy days!

Chris - I've known about the excellent western smuggler's route to/from Andorra (via Tor as mentioned within this thread) but I believe there is one in the south as well. Tried to find it last time I was in Andorra, but as I'm sure you are aware, trying to find it driving south is a nightmare. Would be better heading north, that way you haven't got a city in the way! As it happens, later this year I will be travelling from Spain up into France, so this would be the ideal opportunity to find this "southern smuggler's route".

Do you know of this route, or have you any idea which map I could purchase which shows the route ... that's if it exists at all that is!

There are a couple of routes between Bescaran or Estamariu ES and Refugi la Rabassa AN. Have a look on Google aerial photos, most of the tracks you can see appear to be publicly accessible and, in my experience, in a good state of repair.

I do not know if you use an iPad or similar, but I use Viewranger who sell excellent 1:25k electronic mapping of the Pyrenees in general and France and Spain at sensible prices - in small, cheap, pieces too. The tracks are obvious on those maps.

Chris

4x4NUT

that's a very interesting offer,

I will be heading off to the Pyrenees in mid September for two weeks with the plan of completing RB1&2 but I was looking at pottering around your way towards Barcelona dependant on time, I may give you a shout while I'm out there

thanks

tom

There are a couple of routes between Bescaran or Estamariu ES and Refugi la Rabassa AN. Have a look on Google aerial photos, most of the tracks you can see appear to be publicly accessible and, in my experience, in a good state of repair.

I do not know if you use an iPad or similar, but I use Viewranger who sell excellent 1:25k electronic mapping of the Pyrenees in general and France and Spain at sensible prices - in small, cheap, pieces too. The tracks are obvious on those maps.

Chris

Hi Chris

I have been looking at the ViewRanger app is it easy to use and is it ok for 4X4 s as looking at it looks like it may be for walkers and cyclists

Cheers Kev

Not yet but I will be this summer, having used a whole variety of mapping systems in the Pyrenees.

As a veteran of many Pyrenees trips, as is Chris, it looks eminently suitable for laning to me.

But hey, what do I know ?

Mo

Viewranger is aimed at people who use maps, rather than any one specific group. I suspect they sell it to the walking fraternity as there is a bigger market there... It is not as easy to use/intuitive as MemoryMap but it seems well featured and allows all the functionality I need.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As GBMUB said there arn't many smugglers routes into Andorra, though the one from Alins up through Tor is worth doing.

The other one I would recomend goes from Tirvia over a couple of passes,ending up at Os de Civis in Andorra.

If you order RB 3 from Vibraction,that is a great 3/4 day tour through the Val d' Arran which finnishes on the smugglers pass from Alins to Andorra.

A deviation on that track worth a look,when you leave Tor & start the climb,there is a bridge over the river on your right.Take this track,it will take you up to a little refuge built into the hillside & comes out round the back of the saddle,see if you can spot the abandoned series 2 forward control.

Enjoy.

Marc

Hi Marc we did the trade up to the refuge yesterday what a lovely spot we put are names in the book but looked hi and low but didn't fined the abandoned Land Rover but we are haveing a greet time these routes in Vibrication RB 3 are awesome