Turbo upgrade / modification 200tdi

perv

meuote name="JeffR" post="842516" timestamp="1452963068"]

My god Dave, ya getting mellow in your old age! Been told by a (former) client that perhaps it is time I "toned down my attitude" - well that's English Nature of the Christmas card list.

I regularly get asked why can't I be more "normal"? Long and short answer #### off and annoy someone who gives a #### about your opinion, my boss finds my attitude amusing, he is tolerant but by the same token, I know the boundaries, but he knows he too is fair game when stupidity falls from his mouth, they learned the hard way to simply ask my opinion before asking stupid questions ;) clients need more diplomacy before but they too know from watching me fly off the handle that my fuse is short and my temper vile!

Back on topic, where is Perv? What's his next step?

As I read it, it is not doing anything more than the mechanical boost diaphragm that comes stock with a VNT kit. A real controller would need to know the throttle position, only closing the vanes at high throttle.

I'm no expert, but I can't see why an ECU is required for VNT. Surely the vanes would default to fine, coarsening as as boost pressure rises to remain within max boost, with the waste gate opening as the vanes run out of control movement?

I'm no expert, but I can't see why an ECU is required for VNT. Surely the vanes would default to fine, coarsening as as boost pressure rises to remain within max boost, with the waste gate opening as the vanes run out of control movement?

A "proper" ecu control would leave the vanes open except when you are needing high boost. This makes the engine run more efficiently and improves mileage during normal part throttle operation. That is how a "normal" ECU controlled engine runs a VNT. With the mechanical control the vanes are normally closed and only open when the boost reaches peak.

There is no wastegate on a VNT turbo. Just adjustment of the inlet vanes to the turbine.

unless you know what actuator they use on them? :)

It is just a regular wastegate actuator as used on any normal pressure actuated wastegate turbo.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Turbo-Internal-Wastegate-Actuator-RB20-15-PSI-TO-32-PSI-/380608725807

You would measure what you need for your turbo and find something to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... my 200tdi 110 has had a VGT turbo fitted for almost 10 months now, so I'll give you my 10p.

The difference in drivability is remarkable. It turned what was a 23 yr old engine into something that drove with all the power and width of power of a much more modern engine. It didn't make much difference to the power output of the engine, more to the useable power, and the ability to use the full gearing.

I have a 1.2 tbox, standard diffs and 265/75 bfg AT's, full length roof rack, so the weight isn't exactly small.

I'm also running a full width intercooler and one of those boost pins. The boost pin made a difference, but more of a difference was made from adjusting the pump to take advantage of all that early boost, and ability to almost eliminate black smoke below 2000rpm, while having the same torque that was available above 2000rpm.

Between the VGT, intercooler, and pump adjustment It is very drivable, and EGT's are all within very safe limits.

With regards to the pump adjustments, I spent a long time trying to get the widest power band possible, and in my experience, the boost pin, with minimal resistance on the star wheel spring, and a very small increase in the max fuel screw gave by far the best results with the VGT turbo.

Hope that helps.

Mat

This may be a silly question, but whats the difference between vgt and vnt?

Bell do a vgt turbo off the shelf that looks like it is actuator controlled

https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/store/defender-200tdi-vgt-hybrid-turbo/

Cheaper than the ebay vnt Nigel linked to earlier!

Also... Everyone is selling the same TurboTechnics turbo. The one Nigel linked to is the one from the 2.8.

Bell auto

200-vgt1_217af5ff51f3271b35cd9ceb124647b

Allisport

AlliSport-Land-Rover-Defender-200-Tdi-VN

You get the idea....

Also... Everyone is selling the same TurboTechnics turbo. The one Nigel linked to is the one from the 2.8.

Bell auto

200-vgt1_217af5ff51f3271b35cd9ceb124647b

Allisport

AlliSport-Land-Rover-Defender-200-Tdi-VN

You get the idea....

Presumably these work without electrics though? Does this mean there is a compromise? Don't work as well? Or someone's found a way around the control for our 'simple' Tdi's?

Also, what's the curved pipe for? That unit looks like it would fit my tdi without that pipe?

Presumably these work without electrics though? Does this mean there is a compromise? Don't work as well? Or someone's found a way around the control for our 'simple' Tdi's?

Also, what's the curved pipe for? That unit looks like it would fit my tdi without that pipe?

Boost controlling a VNT means in low/medium boost situations such as motorway cruising the vanes won't open all the way causing an unwanted obstruction in the exhaust reducing engine efficiency.. You can get combined boost and vac actuators but there not much better.. We'll be making a stand alone brain for ours if we ever get around to it.