97 disco head and multilayer gasket

doctor

I have just fitted a new head for the first time and the gasket recommended for this was the multi steel thing. I put new injectors in as well and had the fuel injector pump serviced as it had a leak at the bottom of it . After crossing fingers it started first go to my shock and surprise after fixing the drive belt tensioner stud with a helicoil insert. My question is with a few comments I have followed on this forum there is a question mark about using this type instead of, a ellring type. Should I be worried that it may fail. It took me close to 2 days to fit the bloody thing. My Disco auto tdi300 has 351,000 km and had been running brill with just the usual p gasket leak . What are your thoughts. Safe xmas to all.

Thanks for reply Les. I cleaned the block as well as I could. I have a spare metal gasket thats used with the new type head (bigger waterways) and a elring 3 hole original. I was wondering would it be a no hole gasket for the new type head instead of 3 if I change to elring. So far it seems to running okay just tightening the fuel lines down a bit more and checking for leaks. Your a great help and have good xmas.

The holes in the headgasket correspond to various thicknesses, they're not related to the head, rather the piston protrusion, i.e. how far the piston rises above the deck of the block at tdc. lots of people will fit a 3 hole gasket to everything to be safe but it's not difficult to measure protrusion with a straight edge and feeler gauges.

Bit thick here, whats the difference between the mls hg and the Elring OEM type?

Having now binned HG No.2 due to postman folding it in half "AGAIN", I will order from a motor factors to collect personally, the last two had what I can only describe as fibre coating around the steel bits that were surrounding the bores.

Any help with my conundrum?

The main difference is that the MLS gasket is more likely to leak oil around the feed hole.The first genuine LR MLS head gasket I fitted to a TDI leaked oil straight away. I had it replaced under warranty,(With an Elring) by my local main dealer at no cost. Went back to Elring and had no problems since.

I don't have a problem with MLS gaskets, I used one this afternoon fitting a new AMC head on a TD5. What I dont like doing is fixing things that aren't broken...

Dave88sw, you are spot on,but trying to get people to do it properly is like knitting fog.

Measuring piston protrusion :)http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=24508.

If the deck hasn't been skimmed, the pistons are not replaced, crank, conrods, bearings, are the same, then you won't need to do this. The holes in a head gasket denote the thickness, and the difference is .10mm. Standard thickness is usually 2 holes, so replace like for like. With regards to a new head - if you have put new valves or your old ones in it (lapping the old ones in), then you need to measure valve stand down as well.

As for types of head gaskets - there are quite a few and correct fitting of whatever you have (and it's make), are the most important thing.

The reality is that you can fit a gasket that's a notch higher or lower than the original, use old head bolts that you probably shouldn't, bung any old head on. The difference between spending ages doing it by the book, and doing the best you can is negligible - as the engine will start and purr like a kitten :).

Les

Les, considering how old ALL TDI motor's are now,you cannot assume anything.Unless you are in the rare position of working on a known history,low mileage engine The factory specs are more important now than they were back in the day when most TDI's needed a head gasket somewhere between 60 and 100k.

In the grand scale of things carrying out checks like piston protrusion take a very small amount of time,and ensure that the engine will run as it did when it was built.

Don't even think of doing a TD5 engine in the manner you suggest is acceptable with a TDI,or you will lose any profit you might make in warranty claims...