Soren's Budget Single-Seater Crawler

Got the door-bar sorted today. Got an idea yesterday about letting the bar fold into half a tube, so that when its shut its firmly secured, but when its open its easy to lift off. The bar itself just needs a lick of paint now:

WP_20170527_15_37_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.5af8806a32f01178e957045140bf466d.jpgWP_20170527_15_37_14_Pro.thumb.jpg.7a2201e5789a17c93bb18d94ac300c3c.jpgWP_20170527_15_37_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.1999666e507bb5375ce88f35a9027245.jpgWP_20170527_15_38_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.bc352fc997e8b4f2a9158ab24083a056.jpg

As you can see it folds forward just enough to have to be pushed to hit the fender arch, so this means I can just make some sort of hook arrangement to hold it open if I feel like it. But seeing as it just lifts off, and weighs nothing, I could just remove it all together :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deep said:

From strongly following function - and it's starting to really look like a Land Rover!

Yeah it is isn't it? Wasn't my plan though, but hey I must be damaged from being around Landys all my life :D 

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Looks great Soren! I like your idea for the part tube to captivate it!

yes it seems to work great, I just wish I could've done the same in the other end, but seeing as its very close to my buttocks when I crawl in and out, I couldn't see a way around it that wouldn't create a potential trouser-ripping moment :o 

• 5 weeks later...

With the usual 3 weeks of offroading for me in the Summer coming up, I'm tackling some loose ends..

After some more thorough testing on hill climbs I found that it would be hard to make do without a blowoff valve. 90% of the time its no problem, but when you have one of those climbs where you have to go full throttle all the way up and then slam on the brakes and let go of the gas in an instant not to fly down the other side, it would flood and cut off. I put this down to all the excess pressure being fed into the vent tube for the floatbowl, and then pushing the fuel out the jets. Well after fitting a blowoff, the issue has totally disappeared, so it seems my theory was right:

WP_20170628_20_52_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.6e5e36c4df72cf673e7fbd3b675764cc.jpg

Not the prettiest job, but it doesn't have to be to work ;) Here's a video of it all working:

Edited by Soren Frimodt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was watching the other video linked from this one.  Do you think your front springs are way too stiff?  It looks like it cocks a wheel far too easily and that is disadvantaging you considerably.  The back looks a little better but, on the descent near the end, it still cocks a wheel way too early, as seen on a 2D screen anyway.  Likewise, there doesn't seem much give in the tyres...

Not being critical - I am in awe of your progress with this and it looks like enormous fun.  Just curious.

Edited by deep

4 hours ago, deep said:

I was watching the other video linked from this one.  Do you think your front springs are way too stiff?  It looks like it cocks a wheel far too easily and that is disadvantaging you considerably.  The back looks a little better but, on the descent near the end, it still cocks a wheel way too early, as seen on a 2D screen anyway.  Likewise, there doesn't seem much give in the tyres...

Not being critical - I am in awe of your progress with this and it looks like enormous fun.  Just curious.

yup they are too stiff, after removing the front winch and going to petrol engine, my front springs, which were already on the stiff end of the scale, are now way too stiff. But there are other more challenging factors, first off I have almost as much unsprung mass as I have mass over the springs, and secondly the torquetube design have some weird handling characteristics, especially in the front with the very short tube. The tyres are only on 6psi so they give plenty. But this very descend is one of the real nasties, even the long low JWH had its near misses on this one ?

Indeed, its a constant evolution of driving and finding the problems, then fixing them. Drive some more, find the next problems etc.. With the turbo on the 1.8 I now have enough power, and I'm getting more and more used to the manually operated autobox, so definitely enjoying it more and more :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Doing a bit of fiddling (as always) on this thing.. One of the things I wanted to improve was the rear suspension which was too stiff. a combination of the springs being to hard and the Koni's I've fitted being way overkill in regards to the weight and speed of this buggy. BUT I'd hate to take off the Koni's to put something lesser in its place. So first off I'll try some different springs, so I dug these old ones from the back of an RRC out. They're super soft and seem to work perfect for the job! I now actually have a decent amount of travel in the back:

WP_20170820_19_07_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.ddec72351da0b03f19326cb585cd15e9.jpg

WP_20170820_19_08_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.9c0e9d17ea617489118d45fb6758a2e8.jpg

I could've used spring dislocation cones and gotten even more travel, but I like them fixed at both ends (makes it more predictable at the tilting point)

2 hours ago, steve b said:

Nice trolley jack Soren :) I do love this little thing , I bet you think twice about switching it off and getting out every time you are in it .

cheers

Steve b  

Had to buy it when I had the Mog 404, otherwise I couldn't lift it high enough to go from the 38"s to the 49"s :D 

Indeed I do, especially because it runs so smooth and silently at idle, and when you dab the throttle you get a lovely turbo whine :i-m_so_happy:

Here you can see it doing a bit of Trialling this Summer:

• 3 weeks later...

Been reworking my winch setup on this.. Don't want two winches on it anymore and rarely even use one, so decided to move the rearwinch over to one side and bring the line to the front. In its new place it'll pass under the seat, and there will still be room to fit another low mount as a rear winch, if I so desire. I hope these pictures will illustrate how the line is going to run:

WP_20170907_20_06_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.dd385b16621bf8b798c6f596ce96663e.jpg

WP_20170907_20_07_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.9590352ae91ed4c6ce6e4d30316910c1.jpg

WP_20170907_20_07_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.c1aa01a4d652fefc38f24d8b7885ffd8.jpg

Next up will be making a small fairlead for the front

• 3 weeks later...

With the Winch done, and a full week of offroading coming up in only three weeks, its time for a bit of maintenance. Mainly the timing belt needed changing. Its almost a year over and in the Summer I had a mishap where a bolt chewed a bit into the topside of the belt. So replacing it was well overdue :D Thankfully jobs like these are super easy on these simple VW engines :D 

WP_20170926_17_31_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.ccd7c18f9238e443f82e16a258228d2e.jpg

Also I retarded the Ignition 5 degrees as I've turned up the boost just a hair and I'd rather be on the safe side with the ignition seeing as all internals are stock, would hate to blow a hole in a piston because of pre-ignition

• Like 1

Another update, still with crappy front camera photos though.. :( 

Got fed up with the plastic tank, couldn't really find a good place for it after I moved the winch over, and its such a hassle to fill. So decided that instead of getting fuel in a Jerry can, then filling it over, why not just swap out the whole can? So a filler extension was heavily modified as I needed both a return, feed and breather all in the cap. I obviously didn't want to do any modifications to the can itself. Got pretty good in the end but it did take some time. Notice I have a cutter pin holding the cap closed so it can't fly open in case of a rollover, and a reusable ziptie to hold the Jerry can cap so it doesn't rattle:
WP_20170930_18_43_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.1b9a18867a5668464bf5e01a24b71014.jpg

The new placement also meant a new place for the Battery was needed. So this was moved to the back where the Winch once was.

WP_20170930_19_51_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.c9292d861f96c72d4d31bd392db8bb41.jpg

God I move stuff around a lot :D 

Edited by Soren Frimodt
  • Haha 1