Soren's Budget Single-Seater Crawler

Well have been in my bed sick since Sunday afternoon, and could feel it creeping up on me already from when I got up Sunday. But did mange to punish myself enough to get a little bit done, namely the exhaust from the muffler and back, using a spare V8 front downpipe:

post-9137-0-63165800-1454413199_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-99451100-1454413201_thumb.jpg

Seeing as it is a smokey diesel I knew I had to route the exhaust away from myself, rather than just dump it down in the belly of the buggy.

So getting ever closer to disassembly for paint, looking forward to the stage where I have to put it all together again for the last time!

Out of interest, where did you buy your fenders from as I had great difficultly in locating them as a) I didn't really know what they were called and b) the few I did find where very expensive or you had to ask for a price!

You probably going to say you had them in the workshop!

Steve

You probably going to say you had them in the workshop!

Sadly yes, that is exactly what I have to answer :ph34r: . They are surprisingly expensive. But where I got it from, is the sort of place I would recommend you to look for some. A coachbuilders. I used to work at such a place and the amount of these polymer fenders that goes through such a place is amazing, so they'll most likely always have an odd number of some that look a bit different than what the new lorries have fitted, rendering them quite useless to them. Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find something :)

Give me half a days worth of un-interrupted work, and the thing is almost stripped completely! Only need a few bits and bobs, then there's a bit of welding and then its off to the blaster/painter!

post-9137-0-77106300-1454783692_thumb.jpg

Thanks man :) yeah well its my one and only hobby these days, and its what I love doing, so.. :) But it can be a bit much at times I admit, but then I just leave it be for a couple of days and the motivation returns like it was never away :D

The only one of my ongoing projects that really annoys me is the engine swap in the Disco, I really didn't need this to happen right now when I'm in the middle of building the buggy, and Winter is upon us so I only have one place to work at. But that's how it is, driving/living old cars is a fix'a'thon

Feels so good to be doing final welding on the chassis!

Various reinforcements added and stuff welded fully now that I can get to the back-side:

post-9137-0-75785200-1454959886_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-84810600-1454959888_thumb.jpg

And this doo-hikey serves the purpose of supporting the enginemount vertically as it is quite a long 'leg' from the chassis:
post-9137-0-19886900-1454959891_thumb.jpg

And also added another piece of tube to the far side of the cab area so there wan't such a great big hole that was unsupported:

post-9137-0-79424700-1454959893_thumb.jpg

Seeing as I'm reluctant to making getting in/out any harder, and i'm at the very final fab stage before painting. I found some pieces of metal to fit at places where a bit of strength will be gained but without interfering. Actually the triangle plates make it even easier as my foot doesn't get stuck under the tubing no more from sliding into the V :D

post-9137-0-04260400-1455133585_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-03022000-1455133588_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-18844900-1455133590_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have been busy with everything, except this thing :/ But you can only be at one place at a time right? Today it was finally dropped off at the blaster/painter. So next time you (and myself) will see it, it should be a whole lot prettier :i-m_so_happy:

post-9137-0-36814500-1456334988_thumb.jpg

This downtime means that I will now be focusing my energy on the 80" getting it ready for the upcoming season. So for updates from my weird world, keep an eye on that thread ;)

Well obviously, and then I'm gonna name it Hooters! ^_^

Nah, just plain black, was actually planing a dark red/Bordeaux, however I wouldn't really like my axles to have that color, and it would cost me quite a bit more if he was to paint it two different colors. And also, I just know I'm going to be changing all sorts of stuff on this thing, and when I do, repairing a flat black is just so much easier :)

I know I said that there wouldn't be any progress on this for a while, but as I'd just finished mounting the crane to the 80" I thought I'd might as well test it on the engine for this as I need to modify the sump for better clearance at the front diff.

I knew beforehand that the oil pump was located right where I needed to make room on the sump, however usually there's a bit of extra room to work with, and luckily this was also the case here:

post-9137-0-14106400-1456674272_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this'll giver just enough clearance to give me more up-travel and enable a lower ride height. But obviously I won't know till I get it back in the chassis

Yeah me too, definitely. But of course sometimes there is just no other way. The great thing in this case was the thickness of the steel on the sump, 2mm's means plenty of heat on the weld. When cleaning it afterwards I checked it with the solvent in the parts washer, and it stayed dry on the outside :) So the oil should stay inside just fine unless a crack develops. But I doubt it in 2mm steel.

• 3 weeks later...