Mot advisories: what do these mean?

ronnie_rotten

I'm going to look at a 99 td5 auto discovery tomorrow. 5 seater on springs, 138,000 miles.

Looking at the past mot's on the gov website there are a couple of advisory items I don't really understand:

'pipes to rear A suspension furreles corroded'

What are these ferrules and pipes? This has been an advisory for a couple of years.

'nearside rear ride height linkage broken system removed'

Something to do with self leveling on an air spring system? I though 5 seaters had coils as stock?

Also an advisory on slight corrosion underneath. Are the d2 chassis trouble spots much the same as d1s and defenders, ie rear x member, outriggers and suspension mounts?

Anything else to look out for?

Yes, the sunroofs leak. :D

i wasnt aware that d2 had coils fiited as standard. only bags with ace. the rusty pipe advisary with probably be a one of the pipes for rear ace antiroll bar, these are a real pitfa to fit! especally getting them to seal in the valve block on the chassis. the rear load level sensor have a small limk arm that link to the rear trailing arms which snap(usually for zenon headlights, not suspention), very common. the corrosion adviasary is a worry as d2 suffer badly with rear end of the chassis rotting out, worse that any other LR.

i wasnt aware that d2 had coils fiited as standard. only bags with ace. the rusty pipe advisary with probably be a one of the pipes for rear ace antiroll bar, these are a real pitfa to fit! especally getting them to seal in the valve block on the chassis. the rear load level sensor have a small limk arm that link to the rear trailing arms which snap, very common. the corrosion adviasary is a worry as d2 suffer badly with rear end of te chassis rotting out, worse that any other LR.

I could be completely wrong about the coil spring thing, I was told the other day that only the 7 seaters had air as standard, 5 seaters coils. Could be nonsense.

So the 'pipes ferrules and ride height linkage' could all be in reference to the air suspension which has been removed, so apart from appearing as a regular advisory shouldn't cause issues with future mot's?

I'll be sure to have a good poke around at her rear end then. I don't want to be buying something that's going to need a lot of attention to the undercarriage.

O.o

I could be completely wrong about the coil spring thing, I was told the other day that only the 7 seaters had air as standard, 5 seaters coils. Could be nonsense.

So the 'pipes ferrules and ride height linkage' could all be in reference to the air suspension which has been removed, so apart from appearing as a regular advisory shouldn't cause issues with future mot's?

I'll be sure to have a good poke around at her rear end then. I don't want to be buying something that's going to need a lot of attention to the undercarriage.

O.o

frend of mine had a 5 seater which was on terriblefirma coils, PO said he converted it from bags, but someone will be along to confirm.

depends whats been removed. it may have had coils but still ace fitted. which if leaking is a fail. there are ace removal kits available but you will really notice in corners if you have to go down that route.

if there only advisarys, i wouldnt worry. tho the level linkage should have been a fail. but there only £20-30.

vehicle structure is most likely rusty chassis. :)

You can't really tell which discos had air from the factory, it was optional on the whole range, 5 seat or otherwise. I've come across plenty of 5 seaters that had air. The confusion seems to come from retrofitting coils to 7 seaters. Land Rover never had a 7 seater on coils type approved so in theory they shouldnt be retrofitted.

The ace system is nice to have, it does work very well and stops a lot of body roll. The downside is that its expensive to repair and very few garages understand the system. Check the pipes for leaks, particularly in the OSF wheel arch and at the rear. It can be removed if you decide its too expensive to repair so dont let it put you off.

You can't really tell which discos had air from the factory, it was optional on the whole range, 5 seat or otherwise. I've come across plenty of 5 seaters that had air. The confusion seems to come from retrofitting coils to 7 seaters. Land Rover never had a 7 seater on coils type approved so in theory they shouldnt be retrofitted.

The ace system is nice to have, it does work very well and stops a lot of body roll. The downside is that its expensive to repair and very few garages understand the system. Check the pipes for leaks, particularly in the OSF wheel arch and at the rear. It can be removed if you decide its too expensive to repair so dont let it put you off.

Might be a good bargaining point then. If it is shot, is it just a case of fitting 'normal' anti roll bars (like the ones on my redundant 300tdi disco)? Can you leave all the gubbins in place and disabled? Does the pump need bypassing with a different pulley setup or just leave as is?

Might be a good bargaining point then. If it is shot, is it just a case of fitting 'normal' anti roll bars (like the ones on my redundant 300tdi disco)? Can you leave all the gubbins in place and disabled? Does the pump need bypassing with a different pulley setup or just leave as is?

been a while since looking into it. in kit you get new anti roll bars. you remove pump etc and get a new idle pully and shorter belt. d2's are now pennies for older ones so there are many many cheap parts out there. which will help to keep the ace working. removing is last resort. kit is like 400 odd quid.

All the suspension stuff is small fry compared to the chassis corrosion advisory. They can be fixed/removed easily enough. BUT D2's are suffering terminal chassis rot worse than any other LR product, especially around the rear around the axle area. Be warned. Check it very carefully or you could be looking at a new chassis very soon.

O.o

Mine is a 5 seater fitted with airbags and Ace probably because it was an ES model.

Watch for the chassis everywhere. Before I changed my chassis I replaced 2 foot at every radius arm mounting point. The chassis is very expensive to change.

I tend to be overly paranoid about chassis condition as I'm not a welder myself and once fell foul of a 90 with a bad chassis made to look good. Don't want to make that mistake again.

I'll give it extra scrutiny since it's been mentioned on the old mot sheets. I wonder whether the phrase 'slight corrosion' is as innocent as it sounds or a massive understatement...

Mine is a 5 seater fitted with airbags and Ace probably because it was an ES model.

Watch for the chassis everywhere. Before I changed my chassis I replaced 2 foot at every radius arm mounting point. The chassis is very expensive to change.

isnt richards the only supplier for the D2 chassis? comes with something like a 5K pricetag... :blink:

isnt richards the only supplier for the D2 chassis? comes with something like a 5K pricetag... :blink:

Not quite as steep as the but very expensive none the less. On a car I purchased 9 months before the swap for £3500 it cost me in excess of £7000 to get it through its next MOT. After 4 years of ownership and 43000 miles it owes me nothing. Will not likely sell it just keep it running forever.

This was my D2 chassis which isn't the worst I've seen and not as bad as yours was Simon? This had 65k on a year 2000. Richards was circa £2k+ for a chassis and I spent approx £600 on bits and bobs, PAS pipes and FPR were a large chunk of that. I didn't replace any bushes or steering components, just a basic re chassis replacing some choice hard to get at components.

post-1505-0-38988200-1451415674_thumb.jpeg

Will.

Probably a bit late now but check for holes in the 'bulkhead', especially the passenger footwell. The main loom passes from here through to the engine bay. It's not particularly difficult to repair but does entail removing the wiring loom from the engine bay and coiling it up inside the truck. Otherwise you risk setting fire to the loom at which point it'll be a whole world of pain.

As well chassis rot of course.

Matt