Phantom Indicator

Yolandi

hi all! first thread but long time reader, my 110 has developed a strange problem, the back drivers indicator has stopped flashing and the indicator system has fast clicking when you indicate right but works perfectly on left.

iv cleaned all the contacts to the bulb holder (which is new as of 2 months ago, i blame the tree for being in the way) and i can confirm there is power going to the holder, or so the multimeter says, i have also tried a new bulb but to no change.

any ideas?

Does the non-functioning light flash correctly if you put the hazard-flashers on?

The wiring for the normal left/right indicators is passed through the hazard-flasher switch on its way to the bulbs on the four corners: the hazard-lights are often not used for months on end and disuse coupled with the damp which is found inside all Land-Rover products causes a corrosion build up on the switch contacts.

(You often only find out about this at MoT-time when they test the hazards and then the switch contacts don't make properly when the hazards are turned off and you get a fail for non-functioning indicators).

Vigorously turn the hazard switch on and off a few times and see whether this restores normal function!

ok cant find my test light and none at the shop so havnt be able to do that yet, tried the hazards thing, sometimes they work and all lights flash except the one in question and sometimes or after 30secs or so all lights will go out and fast clicking is herd, new hazard switch?

If you pull the hazard switch out and disconnect the terminal block off the back they can sometimes be restored by a good liberal dousing of brake cleaner in the rocker and in the rear then blow out with an airline . It sounds like the hazard switch is part of the problem but also wiring to the RH rear indicator , a temporary direct earth from the light terminal to the battery -ve would prove earth fault and equally a temp live to the +ve wire onto the light fitting feed would prove supply wiring fault , or a dodgy light unit , just be careful where you lay the end of the temp live !!

cheers

Steveb

Ok, so im atemping above the hazard switch fell apart in my hand (honest lol) so a new one should be here shortly before that i tried wiring the earth from the holder to the earth of the brake light that definetly works but to no change still, when the weather breaks ill swap the holder for the other side one and see if theres a change