Towing weights for a 90

After rebuilding my challenge truck and buying a house (much bigger rebuild project) I decided to fit a tow bar. Recently there's been a increase of vehicles towing trailers getting pulled over and licences and weights checked so trying to find some information on what I can legally tow with it.

The vehicle is a 86 truck cab 90, weighing more than it should due to a roll cage, pair or 8274's and lots of other little bits of extra weight. I intend to get the vehicle weighed so I have a figure to work off.

I've looked on the GOV.UK website and it says the maximum weight a vehicle can tow, including the vehicle is the "train weight".

It also says

"The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded"

Does any one know where I can find the gross train weight of a 86 truck cab 90?

I have found that a 2.2tdci truck cab 90 max train weight is 5900kgs but I assume this will be different and would like to know for sure.

After rebuilding my challenge truck and buying a house (much bigger rebuild project) I decided to fit a tow bar. Recently there's been a increase of vehicles towing trailers getting pulled over and licences and weights checked so trying to find some information on what I can legally tow with it.

The vehicle is a 86 truck cab 90, weighing more than it should due to a roll cage, pair or 8274's and lots of other little bits of extra weight. I intend to get the vehicle weighed so I have a figure to work off.

I've looked on the GOV.UK website and it says the maximum weight a vehicle can tow, including the vehicle is the "train weight".

It also says

"The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded car plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded"

Does any one know where I can find the gross train weight of a 86 truck cab 90?

I have found that a 2.2tdci truck cab 90 max train weight is 5900kgs but I assume this will be different and would like to know for sure.

the 5900 weight refers to any 90, and breaks down to 2400 vehicle weight and 3500 trailer weight.

What the man says.

The VIN plate may (please note the "may") show the various weights but loads don't.

The Ninety / 90 (other than the 2 ltr. mpi ones for Italy) usu. tow 3.5 tonnes.

However, some countries will have lower weights.

All of that assumes you have the B+E category on your licence.

If you passed your test before 1997, you should have it (but still check, it can be removed if you've been disqualified or due to administrative errors etc)

If you passed after then you wont have it and what you can tow is seriously limited unless you do a separate test for towing.

Thanks for the information everyone.

I passed my test in 2007 and a few moths after I took the B+E test so I could pull a trailer. I've always used a disco or 110 for towing and only towed another landrover on a trailer so it hasn't really been a worry with being over weight. With having a house to rebuild and the possibility of the 90 being used less in the next 12months it seems a good opertunity to put it to work or good use.

on the VIN plate attached to brake pedal/servo assembly, has the weights stamped on it.

should be 4 sets of numbers in no particulaar order

maximum front axle weight = 1 on plate picture

maximum rear axle weight = 2 on plate picture

maximum vehicle weight

maximum train weight = loaeded weight of vehicle & trailer & the load on trailer.= highest number

post-20-0-51351500-1451502440_thumb.jpg

Remember that while you and your car may LEGALLY be able to tow a 3.5tonne trailer, a 90 is not the best towcar to begin with, and the more you add extra long travel wobbly suspension and super mud tyres the less suitable (stable) it will become. Don't get me wrong, a standard 90 with a competent driver and well loaded, well balanced trailer is adequate, but not ideal.

Chris