Freelander 1 TD4

MartinT

My wife's 2003 TD4 Freelander Mk 1 has given us many years of happiness until now. 1st thing in the morning trying to get 1st or reverse is nigh on impossible unless put in gear before starting up. The pedal is very low. Once warmed up gear changes are a little better but not brilliant. I believe the clutch hydraulics are a sealed system. Clutch shows no sign of slipping. Gearbox oil level has been checked and seemed over full as once the level plug had been removed plenty of oil came out. Car was level so thought that a little strange. Clutch pedal does not fill spongy but there is no pressure until pedal is nearly touching floor.

My Question is

Can the clutch system be bleed if so how as if sealed how do we top up fluid. Do you think this could be the problem or has any other member had a similar experience.

You advice and help would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

MartinT

The clutch hydraulics are supplied filled and bled,but there is a bleed screw and they can be bled in the normal manner. Good luck if it is the slave cyl leaking,tis a pig of a job in my opinion, plus you have the likely situation that it will need a flywheel and clutch too...

• 3 weeks later...

All of the Freelander 1s except for the TD4 have a sealed clutch hydraulic system. The TD4 does have a bleed screw and you can top up the (tiny) reservoir and bleed them.

From the experience of my wife's one this will improve things for a few days and then the biting point will go down again.

The master cylinder is very easy to change on these (it is a 20 minute job) but the slave cylinder is a gearbox off job.

On wife's one we had to change both and so I fitted a metal slave cylinder made by Tazu in Poland, and a new clutch at the same time. In the end the old clutch was pretty much worn out anyway so no great loss.

Maybe you will be luckier.

• 2 weeks later...

We're having similar problems with Td4, 52 reg

Some days it will drive perfectly, others takes half hour to warm up

But today we've driven 12 miles, come to a set of traffic lights and now refusing to go into any gears....it's my mums car, I'm just in my way to her now

Wednesday she asked me to go to her works, she couldn't get it into reverse-she needed to get out of a parking space....it took me about 15mins to get it out of parking space, then I struggled with 1st and 2nd gear, 20mins later I was driving around the car park fine, out onto the road and up into 5th gear fine, back to parking space and reversed it back in ready for mum to finish work.

Mum finished couple of hours later and drove home fine.

If it was the gear selector surely I wouldn't get it into gear at all?

Spoke to couple of garages and they say it's unlikely to just need gearbox oil as it feeds from the engine....

Any advice please?

Spoke to couple of garages and they say it's unlikely to just need gearbox oil as it feeds from the engine....

OK, put those garages on the "never use" list as they're idiots. The issue is clutch fluid, lack of, probably a leaking slave cylinder so topping up & bleeding it will not be a long-term fix - the clutch slave cylinder is a concentric release bearing which means you have to do 90% of the work of changing the clutch to replace it, so for the extra £100 in parts you may as well fit a new clutch while you're in there for peace of mind.

Gearbox oil is what keeps the cogs & bearings in your gearbox from wearing out and is completely separate. It's also separate from the engine oil, contrary to what those garages seemed to think. Some cars do share (notably original Minis) but the Freelander is not one of them. You also have an intermediate reduction drive (IRD) attached to the gearbox which drives the rear wheels via the rear differential, both of those units also hold gear oil of different flavours.

In the technical archive and part-numbers forum there are links to the official Land Rover RAVE manuals which describe the full workings, repair & service procedures.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have td4 freelander diesel 2003model landrover my clutch peddle is very soft and I don't get gear what could be the problem and where can I check for the problem thank you very much 

Edited by Cola