Radio displays 'WAIT but for how long?!?

ronnie_rotten

Just bought a new Disco but the radio is displaying 'wait' presumably a timed lock out before I can enter a code.

Assuming I can get the code (anybody here able to get them?) is it just a case of waiting for ages for the option to enter? I've got a 4 and a half hour drive tomorrow, long enough ?!? Are there any short cuts?

Cheers

Firstly the timed 'lock-out' will only reduce while the head unit is switched on, how long the delay will be will depend on the number of times the code has been entered incorrectly, with the D1s Philips unit the delay doubles so starting firstly with 2 minutes then 4 minutes then 8, 16, 32 etc etc, then the word CODE or similar should appear in the display at sometime on your journey.

If your head unit is the factory fitted one then a LR dealer may be able to give you the code from LRs build data base for your vehicle.

Well I just got a message from the guy who sold me the truck. His dad owns an indie land rover garage and he said he'd managed to get the code.

Didn't work though. Just tried it and I'm back to the wait message.

I'm using the scan buttons to select the number and the 1 button to enter it. Seems like its entering the number correctly, moving to the next space but no joy.

Might be a good thing if it means I've found out the eka code he's given me is probably no good either. :/

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have many nightmares with the factory unit trying to remember which button to press to put the code in, that I actually had, then I found a really easy shortcut.

I pulled the bloody thing out and stuck a DAB radio in, plug and play and no radio codes to worry about :)

Radio codes are numeric only so 5745 or something like that. The problem is that while the factory (what they used to call Traceability) can retrieve the code, LR factory radios have always been junk and therefore often got changed under warranty. The codes are supposed to be updated, but it doesn't always happen, so if the system hasn't been updated with the code for the new radio you've had it. But as said the best thing to do with a LR radio is usually to put it in the bin and fit a decent one :)

EKA codes are usually in the format 4-2-11-8 with a dash between each number, because on some later vehicles there can be more than 9 turns of the key at one of the stages in some codes. The way you enter the EKA varies but on a 300Tdi age Discovery it's

First digit "open" so turn the key in the driver's door to "unlock" and then back to centre 4 times in the above example

Secondly turn to "lock" and back to centre 2 times

Thirdly "unlock" 11 times

Fourtly "lock" 8 times

Finally "open once and the lights should flash and you will be able to open the door with the alarm squealing.

Each turn should be fully in the direction of the lock or unlock and then back to centre as if you were going to take the key out, slowly and deliberately. It works fine if you need it. Again, a dealer should be able to get the EKA from the factory, or if you have access to the vehicle, you can plug it into a Testbook or similar and pull the code out of the ECU before you need it, 5 minute job but needs to be done before you need it in anger!