split charge batteries

Hi all, I've got to the point were I'm about to fit the split charge kit to my 110. I know battery choice is personal, I've searched on here and apart from the usual optima and odyssey options which are a bit expensive the other reasonable options I come across were the numax cxv 30 hrmf for £80 a piece and the yuasa 019 which I found for £86 a piece on ebay. I wondered if anyone on here that uses either of these has had any problems with them or has anybody got any better suggestions ?

cheers Ian

Hmmm, I used a Numax for a few years. Not a problem. If you read my "our project" post you'll see I use two 85 Amp Numax batteries charged via a 100Watt solar panel.

I still have a second battery in my Defender, again a Numax, For the split charge relay I use an ordinary 70 Amp relay, I knw it doesn't have flashy flashing lights but it does the job

Hi, I've already got the split charge kit brought it off amazon its got a vsr , two fuse boxes one for each battery that sits between the vsr and the battery, and a fuse box so you can wire things directly into the leisure battery. But as for usage I will be fitting a winch, which will be used occasionally but I do a lot of carp fishing and plan to do more night fishing so a fridge will be purchased at a later date so bait and food can be kept fresh plus plan on fitting other extras,. I do realise that I need to fit an isolater switch for the winch .

cheers Ian

Hi Ian, I used Numax CVX 85aH for about 4 years bought from Tynya - or something like that.

Excellent batteries, mine were used in a split charge with winch on starter battery and secondary battery supplying radio and aux power plugs and Engle fridge when we are camping

If you are going to install the split charge buy and install 2 new batteries, dont buy a new 2nd battery and add it to an old starter battery.

There are lots of theads on the web as why this is a bad idea.

regards all

Gren