Engine mounts - choices

ejparrott

Gearing up for the 88's rebuild (finally!!!) What's the thinking on engine mounts at present? Currently got very knackered Series square mounts, probably diesel spec.

Mikey's put me on to Glencoyne's offerings, supposedly soft but they need trimming to fit, what do we think?

I think that was the rub, most aftermarket stuff is so hard it rattles the chassis to bits, Glencoyne mounts are supposedly more forgiving.

on a deflection test they were pretty much identical, so similar in fact even down to the mould flash...

( STC434 ) was what I tested against - thats what I used on my 90 when it was a 4 cyl petrol and eventually a V8 on an adapter kit.

The mounts sold by Richard are 2.5 spec, petrol, diesel and Defender 200 Tdi. They are manufactured by Bearmach and when I used them, were softer than Gen Parts (which caused terrible cab vibration). The square type are SIII diesel mounts, Series petrol mounts are circular but smaller in diameter to these 2.5 mounts.

Not much trimming then by the looks of your pictures SS?

They seemed a touch on the expensive side when I looked at the website, then I got the parts book out and had a flick through and they did appear to be similar to various others in the book, going on shape alone of course.

I went with the 'genuine parts' mounts from Paddocks and yes they came in blue bags but they have been perfectly fine and I'm very happy with them. I didn't need to trim off as much as shown above I just scalloped the top edge slightly.

The biggest change to vibration levels came with changing the gearbox mounts to the same type as the engine. Those mounts I bought loose from a show but I think they are allmakes.