Rear wash not delivering water

Hi Folks,

Defender 1997 - CSW - 300Tdi

Thought I'd test out the rear wash before refitting the headlining. Looks like it is not working.

The motor pump seems to be running. However, it looks like the pipework from the bottle to the rear washer is not taking fluid.

Couple of questions that would help. The following link may help frame them:

http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=760653&SPRACHE=EN

1. Noticed that the non-return valve located in the roof space has a moulded arrow pointer back to the washer bottle. Is this the correct direction and has this valve been fitted in the correct orientation.

2. Thought I'd take the pipe off the non return value and see whether washer fluid can be pumped out of the pipe. However, the pipe seems to be pretty well stuck fast. Is there some specific technique to remove them or do I need to get a bit more brutal.

Thanks for any help,

Simon...

Yep. Looks like it is indeed the wrong way round and has been fitted incorrectly since original manufacture.

Used a heat gun with a 2 second blast, pipes pulled off with ease. Thanks for the top tip.

With the value disconnected, water was pumped from the reservoir.

However, when fitting the value back in the correct orientation, not water can flow.

Suspect given that it has been fitted incorrectly from day one, the value is bust.

Have ordered a replacement value.

Hopefully will then be all good.

Thanks again for the help.

Simon...

Here's an update. Ordered a new part. The original part number is ACU5037. Struggled to find an original part from the usual suppliers so order the superseded part number AMR6676. However, the diameter of this newer fitting is a tad larger than the original. Did some more digging and found somebody who could source me the original part. It was for an MG Rover. However, the part number is the same, ordered it and once arrived it is indeed the same. Some sharing of parts between factories. Yippee!

Top one is the new ACU5037, bottom is the original. The middle one is the AMR6676

DSC03757.jpg

Once the new part was refitted, with the arrow pointing towards the rear screen, screen wash pumped from the reservoir to the rear window. All worked well, no leaks.

This is likely to be the first time in nearly 19 years since new that the rear wash has been working.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks, my first post here.

Hi to Simon; very happy that you resolved this issue.

I have the same type Defender CSW TDi '95... with exactly the same fault!

The rear wash pump does not deliver water to the rear screen. The washer pump works when the knob is pushed in (I also swapped hoses and el. leads at the under-bonnet reservoir knowing that the front washer pump works 100%).

However, the headlining is in place along with the rest of the trim apart from the section above the rear door where I have been poking about. I have not located the Non-return Valve for the rear screen, and am wondering if anybody could guide me as to where it might be located, please?

I really don't want to have to remove the headlining, so perhaps it would be possible to run a new pipe through from pump to rear incorporating a new Non-return Valve. Any thoughts?

Ron

===>

Just ease the headliner down along the left hand side, it should be easy to find the NRV, on my '89 110csw it's at the front just to rear of top of windscreen.

there are no moving parts in the NRV & one with bigger diameter connections should fit by warming the hose ends either in boiling hot water or a heatgun.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Western.

I'll give that a try when the rain clears; think it should be fine on Wed.!

No garage and working outside :-(

Very much appreciate the quick reply you made yesterday. With it being my 1st post, I thought it would take a day or two to appear on the site. Well done and thanks again.

Ron.

===>

Thanks, Mo.

That is a handy hint about using black washer hose; I'll get it if I do indeed need to replace the existing front>rear run.

Weather forecast is holding up for tomorrow. :-) Being retired has its compensations in that I can do the work when the sun shines and surf the 'net when it doesn't.

Best,

Ron.

===>

1995 D90 CSW 300 TDi

Well Western and Mo, I now have a fully working rear window washer. A lovely warm sunny day here....

I found the non-return valve as you suggested, Western. Not a difficult job once the sun visor was undone. But, I could blow through it in both directions, no problem. I checked the graphic on the Front screen N/R valve to try to understand the graphic molded into the plastic. It went narrow bar (Resevoir) to wide bar (Jet), so that was the way I refitted the rear N/R valve.

Still no water to rear window; scratch head and pull hose off rear jet unit. Press RW Pump switch. Loadsa water. Ergo, blockage in rear jet unit. Removed it and tried tiny drill bit to clean input hole; no joy. Fired up the compressor and let 150PSIs do their thing.

[Memo to anybody who might do this; do not place a finger over one of the jets with 150PSI coming at you. I managed not to yell].

Bingo; a result. Happy days. Water on back window for wiper blade to splash about in. Put back the head-lining and spent 10 minutes squirting water on the back of the Landy. ;-)

Got my new rear wiper blade out and quickly realised it should have been 13" and not 11". Back to Halfords for a quick exchange, AND got a Euro back! 2" longer and it was cheaper...

Thank you both for giving me the confidence to tackle this job. I've had the Landy 5 years and the rear wash never worked before for me.

Ron

1995 D90 CSW 300TDi

• Like 1