Zeus 101 Disk Brakes - Cracks

garrycol

I'd suggest he contacts ZEUS asap and see what they have to say.

We have on both axles their stuff for years and no problems..

As you say, brakes are not to be gambled with..

I'd suggest he contacts ZEUS asap and see what they have to say.

We have on both axles their stuff for years and no problems..

As you say, brakes are not to be gambled with..

Thanks - have you tried to contact Zeus lately - they seem reluctant to respond to anything. Nevertheless I have sent them a message and will await their response.

I was the purchaser not the user so I guess I will have to deal with Zeus.

Cheers

Garry

I looked into Zeus brakes several years ago. They looked like a good option for Series Rovers, but I was concerned with how easy it'd be to source new discs. I seem to recall they were modified Chrysler discs with redrilled stud holes. If the 101 discs are similarly modified, then it's possible that a batch have been made slightly off spec with those results. That said, have they been made really hot and then suddenly quenched, like heavy prolongued braking down a long hill and into a stream of cold water?

Thanks for all the comments - the owner was well aware the disks are a "one off" and when worn out in the future may have been hard to replace so has been very careful in the us of brakes - he is a mechanic and very experienced in 101s - his vehicle is his daily runner which is now off the road.

He believes that the steel that the disks is made out off is too hard and hence too brittle as the disks show no evidence of use from the brake pads as would have been expected after nearly 3 years of use. He is looking at getting some disks made locally but that will take time.

Still waiting for a response from Zeus but I am not all that hopeful.

Oh a local guy has developed a front 101 disk brake system using rear D3 brake calipers and disks. Unfortunately it is a one off - but is a ventilated system not a solid disk.

Front%20Disk%20Brake_zpslhdtkv9f.jpg

Cheers

Garry

Let's be honest, the D3 based setup is a lot better looking than the zeus kit, and uses all Land Rover consumables.

I have a mate who has had a set of their timing gears in his 200 Tdi for over 20 years now.

The engine is in it's third vehicle, and whilst noisier than the timing belt setup (you really can hear it coming before you see it) it's been a reliable runner.

I do however recall he wasn't as impressed as he could be, as there was no provision for a hunting tooth in the gearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments - the owner was well aware the disks are a "one off" and when worn out in the future may have been hard to replace so has been very careful in the us of brakes - he is a mechanic and very experienced in 101s - his vehicle is his daily runner which is now off the road.

He believes that the steel that the disks is made out off is too hard and hence too brittle as the disks show no evidence of use from the brake pads as would have been expected after nearly 3 years of use. He is looking at getting some disks made locally but that will take time.

Still waiting for a response from Zeus but I am not all that hopeful.

Oh a local guy has developed a front 101 disk brake system using rear D3 brake calipers and disks. Unfortunately it is a one off - but is a ventilated system not a solid disk.

Front%20Disk%20Brake_zpslhdtkv9f.jpg

Cheers

Garry

That sounds like a great idea Garry!

Don't suppose you have some good pictures that you could post do you? I'm sure there are other 101 owners who would be interested in this.

Or does he have some plans he would be willing to share?

I have to say when I have dealt with Zeus they have always been quite helpful and I've never had any issue getting hold of them.

• 3 months later...