Where to fit a Diesel heater in a 90

I wondered what thoughts people had on mounting an air diesel heater under the floor ?

I've been wondering where I could fit it and thought that under the wheel box might be neat - the blower could come straight through the side of the box, it'd be close to the fuel tank, and the exhaust would have a simple run - what am I missing ?

I notice they fit them to the underside of VW's - http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/Airtronic_VW_T5.pdf

I suppose wading could be an issue ?

I would mount it inside. I had a d1lc in the tomcat and then the 110 both were inside I didn't like the idea of putting it outside it's to harsh for it on a land rover. I would put it on the wheel box inside with the exhaust, air intake (combustion) and fuel input down through the wheel box. The exhaust can be ducted out by the wheel the combustion intake I would duct up under the seat box so as the protect it. You can draw your heating intake from the cab but it can get stuffy though it will be warmer or put a vent through the body to draw fresh air.

Mike

I removed the useless LR heater assembly on my 200tdi 90" and put an ebersprächer 2kw air heater in there instead. Almost instant heat, and you didn't have to have your engine started :) Was very useful indeed, and with the remote I fitted later on, defrosting before going outside was as easy as the push of a button! :D

Mike - what about boxing it in down there ? The 90 has so little useful space for when we have a family holiday that I'm reluctant to give any of it up.

Soren - this sounds like a good idea, do you have any pictures of it? Did you jbolt it to the top of the footwell? Run an elbow from the output into a plate up against the dash?

I think I might have thread on that 90" on here somewhere in the members vehicles section, but can't seem to find it.. And haven't got the pictures on my computer anymore. But yes, that is exactly what I did, I utilized the universal mounting plate that came with the heater, and fitted it to the inner wing, and used the hose that was included as well. So it was actually very easy. The thing that took time was the wiring :)

I was once stuck on the freeway in a traffic jam for an hour in the wintertime. And instead of having to listen to that rattly old diesel, that only gets colder and colder while idling, I just turned on the heater and surfed on my smartphone! Cozy times :D

If you could make a protected and probably waterproof compartment outside of the vehicle, then you could mount an eberspacher in there. My d1lc definitely wouldnt cope with the elements and road muck thrown at it though. Its mounted under the second row seats in my 110, but i realise you dont have that luxury.

Best off inside as the heaters temp sensor on the current Airtronics (Eberspacher) is mounted inside the heater although you can use a remote sensor, make sure the combustion air isn't exposed the chance of being submerged in water and also the exhaust as best you can. Wherever you mount it remember at some point it will need a service so don't make it too tricky to reach.

A D2 can be put in the battery box under the passenger seat.

Usually if the heaters mounted outside the vehicle then they are put in boxes to keep the worst off them

The only issue with using an Air heater onto a screen as described by Soren is the air is potentially 80c so has been known to crack a cold screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is behind the passenger seat in a 90, there's space between that and the bulkhead and the seat can still slide almost to it's rearmost position. Fuel is easy to get from the tank, exhaust goes out the bottom and under the sill, air intake goes into the battery box and it blows air up the outlet pipe level with the top of the bulkhead and I can swivel the outlet in whichever direction I want - perfect!

Can still fit stuff behind the seat too, although only stuff that doesn't mind getting hot!

Edited to add a photo from when I was trying to suss out dimensions - I did clean everything up before fitting it!

Richard

post-71-0-29013000-1453916952_thumb.jpg

Just an FYI, the webasto air top in my recently flooded MRT 110 was fully submerged for an amount of time, I stripped it down expecting dead circuit boards and was pleasantly surprised to find they where all sealed and just needed a clean. The unit fired up first time with a new battery hooked up.