best 2" lift kit

Me personally,I wouldn't go for heavy duty springs. Way too stiff and uncomfortable for my liking.

If you want near enough the best. Look into old man emu, with gwyn Lewis gear. What that chap don't know about suspension ain't worth knowing.

An alternative would be 2 inch lift blocks on genuine land rover springs and longer shocks. But I don't know much about it.

Do you think the days of lifts are almost over? It seems ages since I've seen a Disco on scaffolding - and people seem far more aware of all the issues with lifts ... I might be wrong, but at one point lifted vehicles seemed everywhere and now they don't.

I always got the feeling that it doesnt actually help all that much? The axles are the lowest point and a lift doesnt help there, it makes the vehicle less stable both on and off road, and you only get a mild improvement in approach and breakover angles, which on a 90 are already fairly decent (compared with a 110 or Disco say) due to the short wheelbase and overhangs

Some folk fit a lift for tyre clearance, but if the tyre catches at normal height, its likely that it'll probaby catch on a lifted vehicle too as the suspension moves around. Better to add proper clearance for the tyres.

Increasing flex seems much more worthwhile, and that doesnt need a lift.

Ahh - still prevalent then. I don't use Facebook nor read the magazines - so I guess I'm just not seeing it.

There is though that growing demographic of shiny tdci's where the money is spent on wheels and interiors rather than a pseudo off-road appearance.

Lift kits. Did the MoD find the need for them? Did the Camel Trophy Defenders have them? That's how necessary they are. Fine for a rock crawler, but they're a hindrance for anything else; their fitment is almost exclusively an aesthetic choice for folk fitting oversize wheels and tyres which reduce grip, performance, stability, economy and agility. Still, each to their own.

Well, mine has a 2" lift. It's on terrafirma shocks and medium duty springs.

Road manners...no worse than any other defender I've driven and I have no anti roll bars fitted. I don't expect it to handle like a go kart, but it doesn't fall laughably about when shown a corner. It's running on 265/75 BFG km2s, so again an on-road compromise which affects handling characteristics (although damn good in the recent snow). It's polybushed from front to back so yet another black mark against its handling prowess as these get shot down in flames whenever mentioned too.

Ride comfort: again, not much in it which will come down to spring rate selection rather than vehicle height. I find the 90 a bit more "choppy" than the 110 but I put that down to wheelbase more than suspension. It tows my 19ft flatbed trailer nice and level as well.

So, to the OP I can only comment on my setup: it's fine for what I use and for comparison rides better than the standard L200 I had. I'd say they could've benefited from some thicker paint on the nice silver finish as the stone chips are beginning to rust..as are the springs ( powder coat would've been more durable than paint I think). Just remember if you do lift it to buy suitably extended brake flexis too.

I find mine fine on a 2"!lift although I do wonder a little bit how useful it is. I will note the air suspension land rovers will go 2 or so inches higher off road so I suspect Land Rover feel it has some benefit but not enough to be that high in the air all the time.