Service myself rather than pay the garage

DON'T use EP90 in the gear box! ATF Dextron II and better still MTF 94 for LT77 and R380, but EP 90 is too thick. EP90 is correct for the transfer box, though, and for the diffs. More recent Defenders have W75 in the diffs and transfer box, but EP90 would be better except in cold climates as it does a better job of protecting the faces oft he gear teeth and has better impact resistance for the splines.

Cheers Snagger! Appreciate the advice, was wondering what to get for the gear box! Not sure what gear box I have? i read somewhere that there is something on the actual gearbox.

Done my first oil change on my own today! :i-m_so_happy:

Silly me thought i could get a copy washer from Halfords. Had to get a 75 piece box of them just to get the size i needed!

Bit tricky without a jack but doable. managed to not spill any oil on the drive too! :i-m_so_happy:

all 90/110 with 4 cylinder engines up to & including 200tdi use the LT77 5 speed main gearbpx

300tdi/Td5 use the R380 -- [there is a version for fitting to earlier vehicles, but these are quite rare]

Tdci on use the MT82 gearbox 6 speed

V8 vehicle use the LT95 or LT85 one is 4 speed the other 5 speed.

Cheers Snagger! Appreciate the advice, was wondering what to get for the gear box! Not sure what gear box I have? i read somewhere that there is something on the actual gearbox.

Done my first oil change on my own today! :i-m_so_happy:

Silly me thought i could get a copy washer from Halfords. Had to get a 75 piece box of them just to get the size i needed!

Bit tricky without a jack but doable. managed to not spill any oil on the drive too! :i-m_so_happy:

The easy way to tell is: where is reverse? If it's left from 1st, you have an LT77, if it's behind 5th, you have an R380. Generally, 200Tdi and earlier have LT77s, while 300 and TD5 have R380, but some specially shortened R380s were retrofit to older vehicles. For servicing, it makes no difference. The chances of you having something else are small.

Always remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug, especially if you have an R380 with original Torx drive plug. Friend of mine had a 300 90 with R380. Could not get the plug out. Sheared the end off one of my quality Torx bits trying.

*not* the ones I meant, the ratcheting version is a million times better, I would never by choice go back to the pin and hole versions -this is the one I meant:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands/halfords-advanced-3-tonne-ratchet-axle-stands

As I said, they are often on sale, so you may find them on offer cheaper than the others above, or may make sense if you live nearby.

Always remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug, especially if you have an R380 with original Torx drive plug. Friend of mine had a 300 90 with R380. Could not get the plug out. Sheared the end off one of my quality Torx bits trying.

I took the Torex filler plug out of my 380 gearbox, threw it away and replaced it with a male square diff level plug.

• Like 1

*not* the ones I meant, the ratcheting version is a million times better, I would never by choice go back to the pin and hole versions -this is the one I meant:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands/halfords-advanced-3-tonne-ratchet-axle-stands

As I said, they are often on sale, so you may find them on offer cheaper than the others above, or may make sense if you live nearby.

Ok - i was wondering about those pins vs ratchet.

Ill push the boat out!

Ratch = put under axle, lift saddle to height, drop truck on it.

Pin = put under axle, get pin, drop it, try and shove it in the hole, find they aren't lined up, line them up, drop pin, pick it up, find holes moved, re-adjust holes holding pin in other hand, insert pin -all this while under a truck that is only supported by a jack.... no thanks :)

• Like 1

Only use a LR made bottle jack - first, they have a bow-shaped saddle that cradles the axle to prevent slipping, second they have two concentric pistons that double the range of movement; the generic type like in your link only have a single piston with a screw-out centre to close the gap from resting, and the total lift on the piston is not enough to lift the axle to fit a spare tyre if you have a complete flat (ie the single piston length is less than the hight of the tyre wall, but the LR jack doubles that). You can pick up the LR genuine ones (with two-piece long handle that allows operation without you getting underneath) for about £10-15 at the big shows.

Not much good, no saddle on it... Too easy to slip off, get a disco or RRC bottle jack, made for the job!

ah that top did look a little on the small side. I have looked for a 3ton Land Rover one but no joy so far, they all look the same in the link above.

I don't mind paying for good quality gear if i can find it!!

I can find 2 ton land rover bottle jacks, are these not good enough? how much do these girls weigh? I don,t plan on lifting the whole truck with one anyway.