Service myself rather than pay the garage

My reasons for suggesting a 3t trolley jack are not about lift rating but a) large dished pad -often with rubber anti-slip insert b) larger wheels/castors = easier to move around c) wider track and wheelbase so much more stable d) long handle fixed into pump lever inc. lower function so much easier to position and raise/lower and e) often have a quick raise function until under load .

I have the std Disco 2stage bottle jack in the LR , but gave up with little trolley jacks a long while ago .

What ever you use be safe and take your time

cheers

Steveb

Thanks all, i remembered i have a 2 tonne trolley jack, got it from a garage sale a year or so back, never used it and was buried behind a load of building materials. Googled the make but its not a great one i dont think, cheap chinese build. Master Mecanic. Yes i meant to drop the "H" from mechanic as thats what is on the label.

Ordered some 3 tonne ratchet axle stands from here: http://www.autosessive.com/products/61957/axle-stands-pair-3tonne-capacity-per-stand-ratchet-type

Not known for being a risk taker so i will be very careful when using this kit. The good thing with defenders is they have good clearance without jacks. I will use axle stands, ill stick 1 behind the other as a backup and a jack and lay a wheel down, not going to get squashed by my pride and joy!

I will look out for a LR 2 tonne bottle jack and may treat myself to the ones on ebay if they are still there end of feb.

So my oils and grease has turned up, just didnt fancy doing any changes today with the wind blowing so hard. Didnt fancy an oily driveway!

The pump i got from Smith and Allen looks good. I was going to go for a hoselok sprayer but im a sucker for tools, any excuse to buy new kit i do it! I think me and all the local couriers are on first name basis now! :i-m_so_happy:

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally got my front and rear diff oil changed.

Also managed the transfer box with my new pump courtesy of Smith and Allen, very handy pit of kit for a job like that!

Gearbox wasn't so easy i don't have a socket big enough for the drain plug, its huge! :wacko: However, i did check the oil in here and its nice and full so good there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

The transfer box wasn't so full when i opened the fill plug! i seem to have a considerable leak here. :excl:

The big drain plug is the fifth gear housing and has a particle filter in it. The main drain plug is in front of that and is smaller. The big plug can be a right illegitimate mail progeny of a lady who sells her body for money/booze/drugs. It's easy to cross thread and to over-tighten and damage threads

I only do it every three changes

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, not been on for a while, turns out having children and building extensions takes a lot of time up! :o:o

Resurrecting my old post and following on from the last thing i said, need to change the gearbox oil!

Honitonhobbit, you advised that the large drain plug i was referring to was in fact not the drain plug at all. Problem is, i will be damned if i can see anything else in that area that resembles a drain plug. :unsure:

So i took a photo to see if someone can clarify what i am looking at.

Gearbox Plugs

M

PS. not sure what happened to my supporting member avatar, money is leaving my account.. :huh:

according to my manuals [genuine LR] that lower one is the drain plug on LT77 gearbox

& same on R380

PS. not sure what happened to my supporting member avatar, money is leaving my account..

PM Hybrid from hell, stating your real name & username, he's our treasurer & can sort it out

i found this nice guide that shows the information needed for the LT77 Gearbox, there is a filter plug as well.

https://www.landroverexpedition.com/technical/lt77-gearbox-oil-change/

Also for my own reference and others that are reading this post for info, here is another post on this forum detailing the washers and where to get them.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=52355

• 1 year later...

A great thread, and although I've been doing most of my own servicing for the last 22 years I still found it refreshing and helpful.  Many thanks, Suffolk Defender, for your perseverance in chasing down the answers to your questions.  As you will have found, there is a wealth of technical info on this forum.  Hope you continue to enjoy your Landy.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Very interesting thread, thanks for starting it Suffolk Defender. 

I've recently bought a 2004 TD5 90 (link below) and I'm slowly working my way through service points. Next big one is to do diffs, transfer and gearbox oils. I've read fully synthetic oils are the way forward for the gearbox and will help smooth out the gear changes, was wondering if anyone had a particular recommendation of brand etc? Also any idea of where to buy it? Everything I've found so far is silly expensive.

Is EP90 still the best bet for TD5 diffs and transfer box?