Defender 90 Galvanised Chassis

Hi all, after some shopping advice.

I have decided (after a catastrophic MOT failure) to replace the rotten chassis on my 1996 300tdi 90 for a galvanised one. In your humble opinions, where is the best place to purchase a new chassis? I'm not necessarily after the cheapest, I want one where everything I take off the old will fit straight onto the new.

I will also be renewing as many parts as need it along the way, clutch, pressure plate etc, bushes and mounts and the likes.

Also, I take it there will be no detrimental consequences if I Waxoyl the new galvanised chassis. I want to do this mainly for protection and so I'm not advertising my sparkly new bits to every sod and his dog.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Coxie

Hi, I re chassised my '89 110csw in late 2013, I bought direct from Marsland chassis http://www.marsland-chassis.co.uk/ collected it myself, mine went together with no problems at all, I did enquire with Richards Chassis http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/defender-chassis.html there was a 8 to 10 week order to delivery time.

there is also Designa http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/chassis.html I don't know what their chassis is like.

my thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85416&hl=

No harm in treating a new galv chassis at all. I'll be painting mine when it get's fitted, can't stand the sight of a galv chassis, it should be black!!

Have a look at Buzzweld, they're doing a lot of coatings for chassis and stuff. They've been doing a lot of experimentating with lots of differrent paints and stuff.

I've had eight from Richards now. I have had a couple of problems with some of the earlier ones but the last four defender ones have been spot on.

The first chassis I did ten years ago I left bare but it now looks very scabby, so much so I've stripped the landrover down and will paint the chassis.

I promised I wouldn't do another but I've just bought two more grotty 300tdi 90's so looks like I may be building another one shortly!

Thanks guys, have looked at both from Richards and Marsland, and yep, still undecided. I guess it's just swings and roundabouts. Off to clear the workshop now to get the patient in to see how I'm going to tackle this.

Marsland use Genuine Landrover/GKN chassis, which they have dipped. They're also built to the latest spec.

Richards fabricate their own replicas of the original chassis.

I went with Marsland for mine, i preferred the idea that it was original and aesthetically thought the original welded C sections looked nicer than the richards ones which are welded up from plate.

• Like 2

Having today received confirmation from someone who works on the chassis line at gkn that they are ceasing to make them very soon, in my mind this means that marsland will lose their supply, therefore (I guess) Richards ones will be in even more demand....

I used a chassis from Richards and have been very happy with it. I chose them because they were the only supplier that would do roll cage mounts before galvanising.

The advantage of the Marslands is that it has the adjustable rail on the rear cross member to assist with aligning the body which could save a bit of hassle.

I spoke to Marsland a few weeks ago and they seemed confident that they could continue supply for the foreseeable future. Perhaps they are going to do what Richards have done. Either way I want one of the GKN ones for my 110 so I need to get the order in sharpish.

After the minor alignment issues I had with the 88" chassis from Richards I think the Marsland one is a better option, and looks better/more original too as above.

I have had two Richards' chassis, the first one for my 110 200tdi went reasonably well apart from minor alignment problems with the rear end. The second is a 90 200tdi and has been a nightmare,very difficult to get the bulkhead lined up and the front axle could only be brought into line by using an adjustable panhard rod - tracking was impossible without it as the front and rear axles were 1/2" out of line and the vehicle would be crabbing.

• Like 1

I spoke to Marsland a few weeks ago and they seemed confident that they could continue supply for the foreseeable future. Perhaps they are going to do what Richards have done. Either way I want one of the GKN ones for my 110 so I need to get the order in sharpish.

After the minor alignment issues I had with the 88" chassis from Richards I think the Marsland one is a better option, and looks better/more original too as above.

Maybe they have a warehouse somewhere stacked full of stock...... unless they're buying the tooling..... which I doubt...

Bearing in mind that gkn apparently only broke even on the chassis's I doubt that.....
A friend was a development officer in the engine department when they developed the 300 and gkn threatened to stop making them back then, until LR agreed to pay more for them.....

I used a chassis from Richards and have been very happy with it. I chose them because they were the only supplier that would do roll cage mounts before galvanising.

The advantage of the Marslands is that it has the adjustable rail on the rear cross member to assist with aligning the body which could save a bit of hassle.

That's just a feature of the late chassis, Richards can supply the same if you spec it

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they have a warehouse somewhere stacked full of stock...... unless they're buying the tooling..... which I doubt...

I believe that their series chassis were eventually jigged on the genuine tooling, once it was made available.

The Marsland Defender chassis are the LR ones. They are made at the same place.

aye .. good luck getting one direct from LR at the same price as Marslands :-)

Whilst they come off the same line at GKN before being fully bracketed they are not LR genuine parts

aye .. good luck getting one direct from LR at the same price as Marslands :-)

Whilst they come off the same line at GKN before being fully bracketed they are not LR genuine parts

Hi Paul - I don't have any knowledge about this :blink:, it's just that Marsland told me that they come from the same place. I haven't seen it but what are they doing to make the difference between genuine and direct Marsland ones?

:-) I think we are at cross purposes here..

You are 100% correct they are the same, what I'm saying is the price from LR as a genuine part is most likely going to be much higher than buying essentially the same thing from Marslands. Even then you would probably only get a current spec chassis from LR thus needing to modify the new chassis to your engine / transmission mount requirements and then send it for galvanising.

Of course there have been variations on this, witness the glut of brand new bulkheads direct from LR that were ridiculously cheap and had all gone by the time I reacted to the deal :-)

I have to say Marslands were spot on to deal with, I'm sure the other manufacturers are fine but I've no direct experience of them.

Aren't Land Rover bound to supply parts for up to 5 years after end of production?

The guy on the factory tour said that LR were going to supply parts for 10 years...

If that's the case you should still be able to get new chassis...

They are, but for body panels they're going to make that supply in the next 6 months then close that part of the factory. After that when it's gone it's gone. Any shortfall I expect would be catered with one offs at a huge price.

Of course there have been variations on this, witness the glut of brand new bulkheads direct from LR that were ridiculously cheap and had all gone by the time I reacted to the deal :-)

I have to say Marslands were spot on to deal with, I'm sure the other manufacturers are fine but I've no direct experience of them.

Ah OK now I see. Thanks

If you mean the TD5 bulkheads, I bought one (so did a mate) for £167 :excl: and did the work on it to fit it to my S3 88". Perfect but a heck of a big job. Drilled all the spot welds out to remove the tunnel and footwells then fitted new wells and my salvaged series middle panel.