Fitting snorkel to a 90 with disco 200tdi engine

Hi All. I recently bought a defender 90 that's has a disco 200tdi engine put in. Has anyone ever had this setup and put on a fully sealed, snorkel kit? (Standard parts/not a Bodge job!) At the moment, all I have is turbo with a pipe coming off to a K&N cone filter, which isn't great for off-roading in water! Hoping to fit something that doesn't cost the world.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Since you have to start from scratch, you'll need the filter housing, brackets and hoses. Second hand would be fine, but be careful of damaged or fatigued hoses. I doubt the previous owner removed the plastic trunking from the wing side intake - it is a two piece affair (plus grille) that comprises an intake box with corner connection, and a plastic duct with a 90 degree bend that connects to the box (horizontal, pointing towards the back of the engine behind the inner wheel arch, if still present - make sure you wash it out if it was left open).

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the snorkel goes, it makes no difference. I used a Mantec plastic type as the steel tubed versions tend to rust badly under the powder coat and I don't like Safari snorkels or others with ram tops; I prefer the cyclonic mushroom types as they help prefilter the air a little and are better at keeping water out.

As for the filter unit, I'd recommend a 300Tdi Defender setup, which is a cylinder with brackets that are held by the right hand side head bolts - it uses dead space (unless you have aircon, but even that might not e an issue), so you wouldn't have any space issues with the Discovery 200 engine having a wider accessories section than the Defender version. You would still use the wing side intake, whichever side it is fitted (200 was on the left, 300-Tdci on the right) with whatever hose will reach (might have to go aftermarket or mix and match between models). Early 90s (12J and 19J engines) didn't have side intakes, so you might have to either replace a wing outer panel or cut a hole in the existing panel (make a paper or card template from a later vehicle to get the position ans size right, remembering the joggled flange hidden by the perimeter of the plastic grille where the screws fit. If you do go for the 300 filter system, then I'd recommend the 300 and later right hand intake and snorkel if you have plain wings on an early vehicle, just so the intake hose doesn't have to cross the engine on the way to the filter.

I agree with Snagger, the 300Tdi Defender set-up works well and is easy to sort but the parts were expensive when I looked.

I used a 300Tdi Disco air-filter box mounted to the inner wing and plumbed to the turbo with a piece of pipe from a 300Tdi Discovery also. It's not factory fit but uses standard LR parts that were easy to source from a scrapped Discovery. It's now connected to a Southdown snorkel on the passenger side with a piece of flexi-pipe, there are not too many joints in the system so less chance of water ingress once sealed up. On the downside, I had to cut a hole in the wing which you may not wish to do and the pipework is a pain to route under the heater.

HTH, Harry

IMG_1158_zpsvfaybhpt.jpg