starting problems

bellringer6

Hi can anyone help me. My series 3 has had a few issues trying to start and the other day didnt want to know at all. It just clicks. I changed the battery thinking that was the problem. Nope, still clicks. Then changed the started and solonoid. Nothing. Bypassed the solonoid and it still just clicks. Checked the new batter and that was fine. I turned the engine manually then tried again. Engine turned once the click. Im out of things to replace and all ideas I have tried. Please help!

Hi and welcome to LR4x4

Is it diesel or petrol ? either way , as said above firstly check the earth connections to chassis and engine , if the leads are old there could well be cracks internally and/or bad joints to terminals . New properly made leads often make a world of difference . This also applies to the main battery live going to the starter . It's best to have an earth direct from the battery -ve to the engine then earth engine to chassis and bulkhead with lighter gauge leads

cheers

Steveb

If it's clunking in then out on the key it would suggest not enough current to crank it . Get the battery discharge tested and if ok replace the main earth and live to starter . do you know if it's a pre-engaged starter or inertia ?

cheers

Steveb

Hi, this is is a puzzler as you say there is movement in the engine and you have replaced all the obvious culprits but I hope you still have the old parts for now. Were you able to turn over the engine by hand and see the flywheel turn a full couple of revolutions ? If the parts you have replaced are good I would concur with Steveb and double check all the earth connections again making sure they are clean and tight. I don't have much faith in some replacement parts so I would also try a combination of old and new parts to double check, try the old solenoid or the starter motor again. You could bench test them first if you'd like to make sure. Remember sometimes it is the simplest thing causing the problem and a good nights sleep will give you a fresh pair of eyes and ideas the next morning.

Good luck with this problem. Brian

If you have already bypassed the solenoid, ruling it out, and have replaced the earths (ensuring the connection points on engine and chassis are clean), then the fault has to be either the battery or the starter motor. Try another battery or a jump start, and that'll confirm which it is.

you are part of the way to solving the problem, if you have to use a jump lead then there is an earthing issue. After a new battery and starter it should fire up easily or at the very least turn over quite fast. I would start by trying a compression test to rule out any issue with the cylinders/ Pistons.

As an aside my first car was a 1957 Standard Pennant, we spent a week trying to sort out an problem with the engine cutting out but then immediately restarting. It turned out to be a broken lead in the distributor, as the engine advanced the lead tightened and broke the supply. While this is not your problem, I hope, it taught me that the insignificant is important.