Just in the process of getting everything we (hopefully...) need for a trip to Morocco next month. Crossed my mind that a dash cam would be a fantastic way to record the journey and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I've seen this one on offer from Craddock's and it seems to look the business. I do want reasonable quality footage though so might need to spend a bit more if necessary.

Have a look at www.techmoan.com the chap reviews loads there including videos of the output and eBay links, plus warnings about shoddy duplicates. You can bet if Craddocks are flogging it for £50 it'll be on ebay for £25 from China.

Ref Neil's comment, everything promises 1080p HD but 99% don't deliver it, most will capture at lower res and "guess" to fill in the missing pixels (interpolation), which just wastes everyone's time & storage space. A half decent stab at 720p60 is preferable for moving stuff over blurry 1080p30. I saw one the other day that claimed 1080p and the sensor was 640x480 :hysterical: Also cheap cameras have cheap lenses so most will never see enough detail even if their sensor is 1080p.

Had a couple of version of that type HOG (Black Bullet elsewhere), and both still going strong in other vehicles.

(Upgraded to better resolution etc.)

The GPS doesn't work well through heated screens and you don't really need anything that records location / speed.

(May incriminate you as well !)

Great picture quality and very compact cameras.

Currently using LS460W.. Really good low light capability and cracking image quality.

Neil

Had a couple of version of that type HOG (Black Bullet elsewhere), and both still going strong in other vehicles.

(Upgraded to better resolution etc.)

The GPS doesn't work well through heated screens and you don't really need anything that records location / speed.

(May incriminate you as well !)

Great picture quality and very compact cameras.

Currently using LS460W.. Really good low light capability and cracking image quality.

Neil

Good observations Neil and I would agree with some however it's easy enough to turn off location, recorded speed and several other options too. On the whole I think they are pretty good value for money but not really comparable to say some of the offering from Blackvue

Saw a program about car crashes in Britain last night as it happens and they plugged Nextbase dash cams - they won Which and Sunday Times best buy the last few years on the trot seemingly.

Speaking personally, and as a professional video producer I'd find the top five (lets say) recommended ones that tick all the functionality boxes and then choose the one with the best lens/sensor resolution.

I bought a really, really cheap ($NZ20 brand new) "HD" video dashcam, mainly because it was really, really cheap. It's how I work.

As mentioned above, 1080 really isn't 1080 and the resolution is appalling. For all that, I find it wonderful anyway. Just having that video to recall the cool bits of a drive is almost good enough. Despite the cheapness, it is remarkably steady too, not a given with all cameras by any means.

Having said all that, I'd still recommend getting the best you can afford, following the good advice above.

I got an eprance 0801 which was recommended by the "Techmoan" guy mentioned above.

Its since been superceded a few times with newer models, each of which has their own quirks and foibles, so check his reviews of them before you buy. But i'm happy with it and it offers a decent blend of perfomance and price, as well as being really small. The newer ones seem to have improved picture quality as well, and they arent that much dearer than the cheapest ones.

I've got a few clips from it on youtube (remember to set youtube to 1080p for best quality, the clips look a little better as they come off the card too, youtube compression seems to hurt them a bit), both clips are the types of scenarios that these dashcams can struggle with:

This one from a manky rainy day (nothing interesting happens, i just uploaded it as a test clip):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGVOADy86Q

And this one from a trackday (low winter sun):

After a lot of disappointment with the quality of Dash-Cams, I fitted one of these:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

Which I originally bought to fly on a small multi-rotor which struggled to carry my GoPro. The footage from it is very good quality and it has the appropriate options (looping and power on/off with external power) to use as a Dash Cam.

I don't know if the 1080P is absolutely genuine, but it's heaps better than a supposed 1080P camera from Halfords.

At the time I bought mine, there was no mounting included - so I had to make one. However now it seems to include a suction or adhesive mount:

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html

I currently have two of them - and I'm going to buy a third.

OK they don't have a screen, GPS, Tea Maker, other gizmos - but it's the camera that needs to be as good as possible so I'd rather the maker spent the money on that.

Si