2 Bolts connected to chasis on compressor stubborn

dantd5

Hi Gurus and experts of the forum (bowing with head low ^_^ )

I am about to change the compressor unit on my Discovery 2 2002 MY. My problem is the 2 bolts holding the unit to the chasis giving me a slight pain in the brain.

I am tempted to cut it off but fear it will be another headache putting the whole unit back. The bolt rotates alright but never moves towards me. should I cut it?

All comments accepted with open arms. (Picture by courtesy of X8R)

Dan

post-7610-0-76331000-1454787513_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, if the bolt is just turning, your options are very limited! Cut it then see if you can drill out the thread big enough that you can use a Riv-Nut in the chassis - which you can then screw the same size bolt back in to.

Riv-nuts are one of my favourite inventions! If you have not come across them before, I believe there is some info in the Tech Archive ?on how to make your own insertion tool using just a Nut & Bolt. Proper insertion tools tend to be expensive.

Si

the "nut" isn't in the chassis, its in a wing of the side of the plastic compressor housing and the chassis wraps around it. if you cut the bolt you should be able to prise the whole unit out and then the new housing will have a new nut installed. Otherwise, i have in the past left the old housing there and moved the innards of the new compressor assembly into it.