200 Tdi Turbo problem

BSF

OK, it's not actually in a Discovery, but it came out of one.

Turbo working and then suddenly not working, no bangs or noises, just doesn't work. I have a boost gauge that reads zero and engine lacks power.

All hoses and pipes still connected, but cold. On inspection I found that the waste gate control connection had fallen apart and a bit was missing, but wherever I put the waste gate by hand there is no pressure on the gauge.

Any ideas short of replacement?

How much of the turbo do you get with the replacement cartridge?

by the bit missing i assume you mean the circlip? take it there are no split hoses or intercooler? have you checked turbo for excess play in the bearing?

may also be worth testing actutor for leaks as this may have casue the wastgate issue. i had to unseize mine 6 mothes ago. complete recon turbos are around £4-500 which you would need is you have waastgate isuue. cartridge are around £120 but appear to be massivly overpriced on evilbay recently, they only come with the centre unit (both turbines and centre bearing unit) no compressor or turbine housing but they should come with seals for the housings/oil feed banjos and oil returns. i think i have a disco200 turbo parts in the shed if you need some parts?

hth :)

Thanks for that.

Further investigation this afternoon leads me to believe it is a waste gate issue. The operating bit on the outside (which has also become disconnected with the end bit, not the circle missing) seems to be moving too freely to actually be closing, or even moving, the waste gate.

Further investigation will have to wait until I get a 17mm crows foot spanner to get the exhaust off. It should arrive Wednesday. Getting it off will be no mean feat as most of the Series 2b FC cab and parts of the upper chassis are built around it! As usual the manifold to turbo nuts/studs are rusted solid.

From the way it failed (working and suddenly not working, but without any noises) tends to sound like the waste gate has fallen off. Would the lack of the waste gate cause there to no pressure at all?