Defender 110 Chassis Weld or Replace

Hit a bit of a road block with my current project , chassis needs more work than I first thought....

Can't get my head around whether to repair or replace with a New Galv one.

At what point to you decide that its not worth the cost of patching/repairing, as it needs the cross member done all the way to the rear spring hangers ...I have been quote 400-500 for the welding, if I provide the cross member and do the prep work ..but thats half way to the cost of a new chassis.

A few pics, both chassis rails would need similar amount of welding as below

post-3135-0-78839700-1454968387_thumb.jpg

post-3135-0-81418400-1454968409_thumb.jpg

post-3135-0-02388800-1454968519_thumb.jpg

I spent a good few weeks re building a rear quarter chassis with 2.5mm plate, it made sense too me for a couple of reasons, I could weld myself so no Labour cost and the rest of the chassis still had sone years in it, so didn't want the extra outlay in cost or time to replace it. But I'd never pay anyone to weld for me, it's so labor intense it costs a fortune. If you've got time and the inclination to keep the truck for a few years, then you won't ever regret getting a galvy chassis.

As said above, if you are planning to keep the car galvy it and it will last, plating it will only last for a short while.

It will also rust from the inside out so there is a lot you wont see till it holes through, if you galvy it will also make it a lot more valuable when you do decide to sell.

Hi there.

I have an 1986 110 csw with numerous patches and out riggers replaced.

The best thing would be a chassis swop but do price it up I could be wrong but it could go over 3500.

I do offroading at least once a month and it would break my heart to subject a new galvanised chassis to offroading.

What I can see from your pics its all to familier.

What about taking up mig welding?

Good luck.

Many Thanks for all the comments.....seams like a new chassis is the only way to go, no point putting money into welding it as it only delays the inevitable ....can't afford a replacement chassis at the moment so will have to save the pennies or move it on as a project .

And there I was thinking I'd have it on the road by the end of the month... :o

Nigel

Yup ^ 2.5mm would be plenty thick enough as well.

If you do go for a welder, look on http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ for really good advice.

You could even spent the £400 on a reasonable welder and then you have added a welder to your toolkit.... for whenever you need it. MIG isn't hard, follow that forum for advice, or ask on here.

Hmmm....never considered the idea of welding it myself I have no welding experience so would be a first....I am fairly handy tho and can make a decent fist of most things as I am a cabinetmaker by trade.... sure if I make a bags of it I could always replace the chassis. :o:o

Many Thanks for all the advice and encouragement...very helpful.

Now to go research Mig welders !!!

Can recommend learning to weld - spent way too many hours welding the family Disco back together, as for buying a mig, do not buy a Sip ( bought one a while ago and it was useless, poor quality, chinese made junk) have a look at the Eastwood Mig 175, bought one a few year back and it does what it says on the box. Probably wouldn't cope with heavy usage , but it's affordable and comes with lots of useful bits.

http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-175-mig-welder-with-spool-gun.html

There's a welder in the forsale section at the moment. A good way to get into it.

Being able to weld is a very useful thing, if you really cannot afford to buy a new chassis then yes weld yours up however I would spend the next 12 months doing everything possible to afford a chassis swap as soon as you can, I have spent quite a few days probably even weeks welding my 90 chassis over the last four years, more due to off road damage than rot but I always think it would be easier to have a new purpose made chassis in the first place but I just can't bring myself to spend the cash when what I have works, maybe one day.

Get a decent s/h welder an auto darkening mask and a rent free bottle, if you have a local scrapyard that has new steel off cuts buy 20kg or so of plate and box and spend some evenings setting yourself on fire, it really is great fun! Some leather gauntlets and a smock are useful items as are draper welding pliers.

Will.

I bought a barely used 150A Clarke 160TE from ebay for about half the new price and its served me well.

I also got myself a "Hobbyweld" gas bottle from the local supplier and a regulator from weldequip on the migwelding forum. Makes a massive difference over the rubbish disposable canisters. Its a bit more up front but the bottle holds much more gas and is much better value.

I use a black co2 bottle from a pub. Had it ages as I weld infrequently. I've always wondered if I'd be better with 'proper' gas but I continue with the co2 in the (mistaken?) belief that it's there to act as a shield - so it will be fine.

I think my welds look ok :blink:

It's a really nice little welder, once you get round buying shrouds (Tweco type from mig uk) - the Eastwood ones are extortion with violence! Takes 5kg spools as well

Also keep a 1kg small spool tucked away for that time your big one runs out by surprise