Humming from rear of P38

Simon_CSK

Sample the oil,if its all silvery with metal particals its on its way out. If its still reasonably clean it will probably go on for a while.I have a customer with a 4ltr P38 that has had a noisy rear diff for the last 4 or 5 years,but it does a low annual mileage and hasn't got any worse...

Sample the oil,if its all silvery with metal particals its on its way out. If its still reasonably clean it will probably go on for a while.I have a customer with a 4ltr P38 that has had a noisy rear diff for the last 4 or 5 years,but it does a low annual mileage and hasn't got any worse...

It is far too noisy to keep going with it any longer. It really is very loud at anythihg over about 25mph. Will havea look for the metal particles

It could be a brake caliper binding too, I had this on my Sport recently. I did think it was a wheel bearing at first.

Brakes definately ok as just got it back from garage after a rear pad fell out and wreaked a disc and a caliper.

Pull it out and replace with known good one or get yours rebuilt.

I have a few good ones kicking about but it is not a job that I enjoy. Guess I will need to do it though. I can't have another trip on the big yellow truck as I have had four call outs resulting in two lift in the last two weeks on the Discovery. The fault on that turned out to be a dead fuel pump.

• 3 months later...

Update......The drone in the last week was so bad I decided that it was the diff and went to replace this morning. As soon as I touched the prop to start to remove the bolts I noticed significant play on the diff at the connection with the prop. Result, I knew before I started that I had found the fault.

Stripped out the diff and sure enough the bearings were away and there was 4 teeth missing on the crown wheel. Now all back together so hopefully this cures all my woes. Time will tell.

That bad eh? Hopefully your whine will be gone.

Took it for a drive this afternoon and yes all is quite.......at last. Could not believe how bad the old diff was, luckily I had (several) spares.