bacdisco

Hi There,

My front crankshaft oil seal is leaking quite badly on my series 3 2.25 petrol so I've decided to change it.

I removed the dog nut by a combination of electric wrench, breaker bar, 43mm deep impact socket and brute force.
I then levered off the pulley by placing the handle of a pipe wrench between the pulley and timing cover.
Next, I drilled the rivets out from the seal cover plate with the timing cover in place.

I now have the seal in sight, however, I can't seem to remove it from the housing (timing cover case); do I need to remove the timing cover to get the seal out or is there a way I can prise the the thing out without removing the timing cover?

I am fairly new to the landy series scene so any help by someone who has faced this problem before would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

The traditional way is to drill a small hole into the seal, screw in a self-tapper, then use this to pull the seal out. You may find it better to put in two self-tappers opposite each other to get more grip.

You can also get "seal puller" hooks that you push down between the seal and the crank then hoick the seal out, but I've always found the self-tapper trick to work.

To fit the new seal, a short length of plastic waste-pipe makes a good drift - being slightly soft it's less likely to damage the seal.

• 3 weeks later...