Can I change Camshaft bearings at home?

paul mc

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of (slowly) rebuilding my 3.5 V8 efi flapper engine. I am doing everything that is sensible while i have the engine out and on a stand, which i thought would include camshaft bearings. After buying the bearings from Rimmer bros, I came to install them today and found the necessary section of the Haynes manual to find the comment 'be careful while removing the camshaft as the bearings can not be replaced'.

So, my question, why sell camshaft bearings if they are irreplaceable? I assume they must be bored out or something similar which the average person can not do at home, or is there a way I can do it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

Possibly correct at time of writing. Info here, suggesting it is possible: http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5025&sid=2786c8b1d804ed57ba5fc9c940ed78f2

But whether the finished size bearings are the best option is debatable, though. You're relying on the holes machined in the block to be true... there was presumably a reason they were fitted them reamed to finished size at the factory, and doing so, it's reasonable to say, is a machine shop job.

Which begs the question: Are you sure they need doing before you launch into it? Easy enough to measure them and worth the price of a set of bore gauges if you don't already own some.

Thanks for the reply. The hearings are not gouged or damaged, but at 150k miles they are obviously past their best. I would be interested to hear if others have successfully carried this out at home, as with the useful link you posted, and if they have any advice.

I appreciate your comments regarding line boring but then I have to weigh up worn old bearings against slightly misaligned new ones.

As I do not expect to rebuild this again as it now only sees very low annual mileage, I would like to do anything now that I can economically do so it does not give me a headache in a few years time.

Cheers

When I rebuilt my 3.5 flapper I took the block to a machine shop for the bores to be checked and honed, I bought camshaft bearings and got them to fit them while they had the block. I don't think it added hugely to the cost and it was nice to get the block back just done and ready. I took the camshaft in with me so they were able to check alignment which was absolutely fine.

There is information on the net about changing them yourself, from what I have seen it's done using threaded bar with nuts and various size washers. The main thing obviously is making sure the oil holes line up. I think it's quite time consuming but not hugely complex, depends whether you can be bothered. I assume your block will be going to a machine shop at some point anyway for work on the bores, so maybe just get them to do the camshaft bearings while they have it. Up to you. Good luck with it whichever way you go, enjoy the rebuild!

Cheers

David

Yes, it's possible. The bearings you can buy these days are finished and can be put in and don't need machining. They're just American bearings and very common. There was a reason Land Rover used unfinished bearings but I've forgotten what that was!

I did the whole business of chopping up an old camshaft and drilling holes through the centres of each round bit and then using these, mounted on threaded rod, with slightly larger washers. It was a difficult job and I wouldn't do it again like that. Instead I would buy the proper tool or at least make something like in the link above. (I remember looking at that site, too.)

I only did it at home because I live in a remote area and sending the block away for a little job like this was just asking for trouble since so many businesses in this place are useless. In your case, you should be able to find a tame workshop who can do the job while you wait, as it's pretty easy and quick for someone with the right tools and experience.