Alternator wiring help

steve200TDi

Hi,

I had this alternator in stock and thought I'd have a go at seeing if it's possible to fit it to my V8 Racer that you may have seen else where.

post-7712-0-35793300-1456923933_thumb.jpg

The big stud at the top is labelled B+ and a COM is labelled just above the Renault logo which either points to the small terminal or the plastic socket for a plug (which has one pin in).

Now the V8 is a V belt variety so it may struggle as it's a 110 amp, but at the moment I'm having difficulting determining what terminals to wire up to where. I know there are electrical guru's on here!

Once I know how to wire it up then I may have more enthusiasm to fit it!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

B+ is the battery terminal.

"COM" is where you pick up pulses from for a revcounter.

I suspect the small pin-and-socket is the warning-light terminal.

110A on a single V-belt is pushing it: in the days when I was dealing with rally-cars we used either poly-vee (like the serpentine belts on current cars) or twin V-belts for any alternator over 55A.

You need a lot less tension (so your water-pump and any idler bearings last longer!) with twin-vee or poly-vee.

Never seen 'COM' used to tacho, its usually 'W' by the DIN coding.

This seems to suggest that its for 'Computer' http://woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=VALEO&Ref=TG11C055

In post-2000 vehicles the tacho (along with things like the engine-temperature gauge and revcounter and airconditioning-brick) are driven by the engine-management or body-functions computers.... which like to be informed about engine RPM if only so they can signal 'increase fuelling - I'm about to engage the aircon - expect to see the RPM fluctuate a bit' to the engine-management.

Yeah but its not a tacho signal, its a serial data communication line. See http://www.autoelectro.co.uk/sites/default/files/media/docs/AERegulatorGuide.pdf

An sorry but your explanation is not really correct. Fueling is not controlled by the tacho signal, rather by the CPS. In fact looking into this further i dont think that alternator provides rpm.

I've just done a bit of learning too. The data signal is a demand from the ECU to the alternator to provide a certain VSP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-specific_power. Probably also replies with status, current, temp etc.