Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

On 05/01/2018 at 10:19 AM, Cornish Rattler said:

Just put an order in at Steve Parker's for my 300tdi-series exhaust kit, just need to get an exhaust manifold now :D

Found the answer to my own question......

Cant decide what to do on my 80” for the exhaust. I though about these - but it’s expensive to then have to cut and shorten to fit. I’ve also though abought taking it to one of the custom stainless places and getting one made - can’t decide!

8 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Cant decide what to do on my 80” for the exhaust. I though about these - but it’s expensive to then have to cut and shorten to fit. I’ve also though abought taking it to one of the custom stainless places and getting one made - can’t decide!

Yeah they only do them for S2's and 3's could you not use a strait through pipe and have a rear silancer like an S2/3 just a thought 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 8:09 PM, Anderzander said:

Yeah they only do them for S2's and 3's could you not use a strait through pipe and have a rear silancer like an S2/3 

Looking very, very nice !

I'm into wiring the Hybrid now - the 200 Tdi is in and works very well..

My chassis is also galvanized - an original '62 one - after we did some mods to it, as is the bulkhead. a used one we rebuild and dipped. 25 years later it is still perfect...

7 hours ago, Arjan said:

Looking very, very nice !

I'm into wiring the Hybrid now - the 200 Tdi is in and works very well..

My chassis is also galvanized - an original '62 one - after we did some mods to it, as is the bulkhead. a used one we rebuild and dipped. 25 years later it is still perfect...

Nice, can't wait to get the wedding over and done with so i can concentrate more on the landy, summer is going to be very busy on the landy :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/01/2018 at 4:14 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

So I take it a 300 dipstick tube won't fit then

I’m late to this - but the answer is no....

My plan was to use the 3OO tube with the 200 nut - but the 300 tube is pressed steel with a flare at both ends, so I can’t slide the nut on with an olive to nip it up.

I’ve gone back to the 200 and it’s now bent in a kind of S shape.

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I’m late to this - but the answer is no....

My plan was to use the 3OO tube with the 200 nut - but the 300 tube is pressed steel with a flare at both ends, so I can’t slide the nut on with an olive to nip it up.

I’ve gone back to the 200 and it’s now bent in a kind of S shape.

Yeah i will have another look after me hols as i'm just worried the more bends in the tube the more the dipstick won't read right 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2018 at 8:57 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

20180310_131719.jpg

20180310_132951.jpg

I am concerned that the fan is misplaced in the housing. From my experience ALL of the fan blades should be inside the casing.
When correctly mounted, the casing is held away from the bulkhead; the air should flow across the back of the heater, being drawn into the centre of the fan opening. The rotating fan then throws the air sideways, through the heating elements, and out of the holes in the casing. When the fan blades protrute even partially from the back of the casing, the exposed blades of the rotating fan blows some air (unheated) across the back of the casing. A two way flow is set up in the narrow space between the heater casing and the bulkhead, restricting the air flow THROUGH the heating elements. Heating output is thus reduced by two factors, restricted flow of incoming air, reduced flow of blown heated air

I only discovered this after mounting a 'new to me heater' into a S2A previously without a heater. The outwards flow at each end of the heater is obvious once all the proper outlets are closed or taped off. The flow can be detected by hand, or by paper held partially over the heater to bulkhead gap.

'My' heater had been assembled without any spacers between the fan motor flange and the front casing, so I made some.
Yours has some spacers so you might just need to increase the distance with some washers. I think the locking nuts are a bit overkill; using standard nuts will give you the additional stud length you will need. Just make sure the fan is positioned on the shaft to be as close to the motor as it can be, and don't pull the motor / fan assembly so far forward that the blades catch the fan speed resistor or its wiring that is within the front of casing.

Regards.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, David Sparkes said:

I am concerned that the fan is misplaced in the housing. From my experience ALL of the fan blades should be inside the casing.
When correctly mounted, the casing is held away from the bulkhead; the air should flow across the back of the heater, being drawn into the centre of the fan opening. The rotating fan then throws the air sideways, through the heating elements, and out of the holes in the casing. When the fan blades protrute even partially from the back of the casing, the exposed blades of the rotating fan blows some air (unheated) across the back of the casing. A two way flow is set up in the narrow space between the heater casing and the bulkhead, restricting the air flow THROUGH the heating elements. Heating output is thus reduced by two factors, restricted flow of incoming air, reduced flow of blown heated air

I only discovered this after mounting a 'new to me heater' into a S2A previously without a heater. The outwards flow at each end of the heater is obvious once all the proper outlets are closed or taped off. The flow can be detected by hand, or by paper held partially over the heater to bulkhead gap.

'My' heater had been assembled without any spacers between the fan motor flange and the front casing, so I made some.
Yours has some spacers so you might just need to increase the distance with some washers. I think the locking nuts are a bit overkill; using standard nuts will give you the additional stud length you will need. Just make sure the fan is positioned on the shaft to be as close to the motor as it can be, and don't pull the motor / fan assembly so far forward that the blades catch the fan speed resistor or its wiring that is within the front of casing.

Regards.

Thanks for that Dave, i'm pretty sure the blades are inside the casing but it was something I never thought about when removing the heater and painting it, I need to get all the bodywork back outside again now i'm back off my hol's so once I've done that I will have a look at it :)

Once i've got the bulkhead and put the bodywork back outside to give me back the room in the garage i will remove the engine and gearbox again, send the gearbox away to have it recon'd and have the trannybox uprated and paint the engine, was going to paint the block BMC engine green but have decided on black with the rocker cover and inlet manifold already painted silver, i'm going with black silicon hoses with painted silver steel pipes rather than have it looking boy racer ish with blue silicon hoses and i plan to re-use the original air filter aswell.

Edited by Cornish Rattler