Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

The accelerator rod looks nice and simple - quite a potent looking spring there too 😊

Are you planning any sound proofing anywhere ? 

Only in roof where the old lining was, nothing planned for the engine bay think its a waste of time and money to be honest.

Was looking for something else and came across the spring so thought i would put it to use as i have seen what happens when them coiled springs on the pumps let go, not good.

Edited by Cornish Rattler

• 3 weeks later...

Did a bit more Saturday and today, Saturday I removed the old oil cooler pipes ready for the new ones arriving soon, I also removed the 300tdi radiator to make way for a new 200tdi radiator as when I fitted the fan belt I was struggling to get a few months ago now I noticed that the bottom hose wouldn't fit as the fan belt was stopping me to fit the hose in place so as the new 200tdi radiator arrived today I fitted it straight away and re-routed the bottom hose to fit the new radiator then I fitted the new rear mud flaps that I ordered as well, couldn't fit the fronts as the wings need fitting but i'm ready for fitting the yet, will post pic's later :)

Fitted some of the fuel lines in today just need to get a couple of supply pipes for fittings to make new supply pipe and a return pipe, then I tried fitting the front shocks fitted one then found out the N/S/F spring plate was the wrong on for the car as the shocker is to close to the swivel housing flange and I didn't even notice it when I fitted the springs so I need to buy the correct one now :(

15 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Just been fitting a few bits n bobs that i ordered last week, still waiting for loads of other stuff yet but today i fitted all the shocks, fuel pipes and dipstick tube and dipstick, had to remove the front section of the exhaust to do that 

Hi, a quick question, if you don't mind.

Have you fitted standard dampers with the parabolics? I'm going to fit parabolics to my S3 SWB and I'm unsure whether I need to use longer dampers.

Regards, Mark.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, markyboy said:

Hi, a quick question, if you don't mind.

Have you fitted standard dampers with the parabolics? I'm going to fit parabolics to my S3 SWB and I'm unsure whether I need to use longer dampers.

Regards, Mark.

Standard dampers fitted, I was going to fit the pro comp ones but found out the earlier ES9000's are gas filled and the later ES3000's that you get now are oil filled which I've been told don't last long and a lot of peeps fit decent oil filled std ones as decent gas filled ones as very expensive so I decided on fitting Armstrong std oil filled ones for now.

• Like 1

Looking good! Some day my build will be that close to running!

When I did my LWB, the consensus was that standard shocks would bottom out before the parabolic springs, and that the Armstrong's didn't have a stop built in, so that this is a problem, unless you use the check straps.

And that the parabolics were "busier" than the multi leave spring packs, so the oil in the shocks would overheat. No idea if this is true, but I bought Monroe gas magnums as a result.

Also, where did you get genuine Armstrong shocks? I'd to get Britpart when I was doing mine as Armstrong couldn't be bought, or so I was told!

• Thanks 1

Painted more stuff today, front wings, door bottoms, rock sliders, floor plates 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, Gazzar said:

When I did my LWB, the consensus was that standard shocks would bottom out before the parabolic springs, and that the Armstrong's didn't have a stop built in, so that this is a problem, unless you use the check straps.

And that the parabolics were "busier" than the multi leave spring packs, so the oil in the shocks would overheat. No idea if this is true, but I bought Monroe gas magnums as a result.

Also, where did you get genuine Armstrong shocks? I'd to get Britpart when I was doing mine as Armstrong couldn't be bought, or so I was told!

The Armstong boxes they came in had Bearmach on them so hopefully they should be ok.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Gazzar said:

I was told the same thing about oil dampers getting to hot and boiling with parabolics, but they manage fine with coil springs...  I presume LR used higher rate dampers for the coilers to cope with the lake of internal spring friction and also the raised cavitation inside the damper.  You’re absolutely right about the need for check straps if the dampers reach full extension before the springs.  Using 1-Ton or MoD 109 front dampers is an option - they’ll be a little longer and will have a higher rating.  Their length may cause them to reach their minimum extension beforehand the axle hits the bump stops, though, without the bump stop extensions.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, Anderzander said:

It’s looking great 👍🏻 

Only the blue boxes are worrying 😊

Yeah they are what the new door tops and bottom came in was hopeing to fit Rocky mountain door top but they have recently gone up in price from £500-£700 so decided on the BP ones instead.