Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

Finished off stripping the bulkhead down today and covered it up outside out of the way to give me a bit more room in the garage, I also met Romahomepete and his son as he came to collect the 2a engine I had advertised in the for sale section which was nice to see another forum member as we chatted about our landy's and help out a fellow member in need of a part ( engine ) I didn't need ;)

54 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I think all the Marsland chassis are supplied with the TD5 rear crossmember and have that hole for the tow electric socket.

Defs have the td5 rear X member on all chassis but this is the S2a chassis with a std rear X member but as you say the hole is for an earlier plug socket which I vaguely remember mainly on S1's and early S2a's 

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

Really, really nice !

Love this build

Cheers Arjan, yeah I need to order the rear 24 spline half shafts and flanges and a couple of other things for now just to finish off the axles off plus fill up with oil aswell then move onto the steering next month as sons wedding is slowing me down ATM, the sale of the 90 paid for the wedding but I still have other stuff to sort out for the wedding for myself as the wedding is in Cyprus 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Arjan said:

May I ask...

2017-09-12 = Welke stekker komt hier.jpg

Obviously, a socket but I have not seen one yet...

They was fitted before the universal socket came out and is also the reason the wiring loom between the o/s rear lights to the tow plug needs extending as the original loom just went to where the old style socket was fitted although newer replacement looms probably now cater for the later plug normally fitted around the tow ball area.

Arwww it looks like I need a 10 spline 3.54 diff now as with the 24 spline diff fitted I've bought the wrong half shafts which all fit but there is nothing to stop oil ending up in the 24 spline flange and have since been told I should have used a 10 spline diff instead which then allows me to use the old shafts, the only other way is to buy very expensive custom shafts so think it's easier and cheaper to go the 10 spline diff way :(

Hole is for the old Lucas 5 pin rubber socket - which really became obsolete in the mid 60's with the advent of the continental style 7 pin system.  This originally provided an auxilliaries supply for the caravan/trailer - but this was nicked for the rear foglight.

In turn the Lucas 5 pin socket repalced a similar 3 pin job when indicators were fitted to trailers.

It looked like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-1-LUCAS-5-PIN-SOCKET-AND-CABLE-230441-TLC5-TRAILER-LIGHT-NOS-/162560400058?epid=18003628130&hash=item25d95adaba:g:8KIAAOSwrfVZSUV9

10 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Arwww it looks like I need a 10 spline 3.54 diff now as with the 24 spline diff fitted I've bought the wrong half shafts which all fit but there is nothing to stop oil ending up in the 24 spline flange and have since been told I should have used a 10 spline diff instead which then allows me to use the old shafts, the only other way is to buy very expensive custom shafts so think it's easier and cheaper to go the 10 spline diff way :(

If it's for the rear axle you might consider Stage one halfshafts. As far as i know that's a 24 spline job.

16 minutes ago, AV8R said:

If it's for the rear axle you might consider Stage one halfshafts. As far as i know that's a 24 spline job.

Ok are the flange ends the same as std 88 ones as in is there a felt washer and nut used to fit the shafts to the flange to stop oil getting past the shafts into the cap 

3 hours ago, AV8R said:

Think they would work but I have just been on the stage one forum and no-one makes them other than Kam and similar companies and they are mega expensive, good idea though cheers.

Are well back to the 10 spline diff hunt then 

Did some research, Stage one's do have 24 splines rear axles, but they are Salisbury. Your 3,54 diff is most likely Rover type, being in a SWB.

No problem finding the 24 splined halfshaft but LH side will be about 4 cm short :(

Finished off what I was hoping to do on Saturday which was check and adjust if needed the swivel tension ( by hand ) then top the swivels with oil then loosely fitted the steering arm from one of the swivel arms to the other as I need to get a relay and relay arms yet before I can fit the other arm :)

3 minutes ago, AV8R said:

Did some research, Stage one's do have 24 splines rear axles, but they are Salisbury. Your 3,54 diff is most likely Rover type, being in a SWB.

No problem finding the 24 splined halfshaft but LH side will be about 4 cm short :(

Ok thanks very much for that, I looked on the Stage one forum ( not a member ) last night and read that no-one makes them anyway so have decided the only option I have really is to bit the bullet and get a 10 spline diff and re-use my old 10 spline half shafts and sell the diff and half shafts I have recently bought :(

But again thanks for taking the time to look for me ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...