Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

33 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Apart from the crusty paint, that doesn't look too bad at all!

And... shiny... bumper :)

Haha it was the only place i could put the bumper till i can get the body work out of the garage, the bulkhead will be gone hopefully in a couple of weeks time as i am part exing it against a new galv one :D

As per my other post we are collecting the bulkhead tomorrow from Ashtree and now the gardener has been round to sort the over growth out where i keep my bodywork i can now pull all the bodywork out of the garage and lay it on a tarp and cover it all up, re-position the rolling chassis and start working on it again :D

28 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Great news !

I put my galv bumper outside - so it would weather and lose some of its brightness 😊 kind of pre applied aging. 

Yeah i was looking at pic's the other day of when i first got the chassis and its well faded now considoring its been garaged from the day i got it 12 ish months ago 

Making a start today to remove all the bodywork out of the garage and onto a tarp in the back garden and covering it up, and once I've had a sweep up re-position the landy in the garage and get it ready for removing the engine and gearbox for painting the engine and sending the gearbox away to Syncro gearboxes :)

14 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Managed to get everything done what i wanted to inc removing the engine and gearbox and stripping all the ancileries from the gearbox ready for sending it to Syncro gearboxes :)

What sort of turnaround times are Syncro quoting at the moment for a rebuild?

49 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Loving the quality and detail of the work on this build 👍

Cheer's Bigj66, yeah will be sending the gearbox off to Syncro gearboxes soon then once its back and the engine and box is back in I plan to fit an X brake and do away with the drum h/brake :)

12 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Cheer's Bigj66, yeah will be sending the gearbox off to Syncro gearboxes soon then once its back and the engine and box is back in I plan to fit an X brake and do away with the drum h/brake :)

I'm not knocking the X-brake, but the standard brake is very effective if you add the longitudinal tie-rod between the bell housing and gear box cross member to stop the brake lever pulling the transmission and engine forward on application - it's better fr the mountings and ensures that the brake actuator rod motion isn't lost in the forward motion of the brake backplate.  Simpler and cheaper than the X-brake...

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

I'm not knocking the X-brake, but the standard brake is very effective if you add the longitudinal tie-rod between the bell housing and gear box cross member to stop the brake lever pulling the transmission and engine forward on application - it's better fr the mountings and ensures that the brake actuator rod motion isn't lost in the forward motion of the brake backplate.  Simpler and cheaper than the X-brake...

The bracket required for the crossmember can be obtained from Craddocks, and welded in.

Buzzin, just got back from billing with a load of bits i need for the 2a, a pair of roof side panels in mint con'd apart from a small bit of damage on one of the rear corner's which i am hoping we can sort out, a pair of galv sill rails and a new galv ( etch primed ) front panel, i will post pic's tomoz as everything is in Son's van :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

Interesting, I checked underneath my Rangy and I have a tie bar running from the back of the BW TB to the bell housing. Presumably this performs in a similar way?

01_BCA36_E-_E150-45_B3-9361-_BA717_AAA3_

85_D2074_A-5949-423_A-85_B6-_B80_F16142_

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Anderzander said:

Glorious - well done that man.

Ive been spending too much money on mine and need to stop for a month ☹️ These things are so expensive !

Yeah you've got to back off every now and then as they can take over your life, as you may know for the last few months up until now I've not spent much money on the 2a with the Cyprus holiday / wedding and as much as I want to get the 2a finished I've really enjoyed not spending money on it and spending the money on other things instead but now its back to spending money on it again :)

• Like 1