Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

10 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Interesting, I checked underneath my Rangy and I have a tie bar running from the back of the BW TB to the bell housing. Presumably this performs in a similar way?

01_BCA36_E-_E150-45_B3-9361-_BA717_AAA3_

85_D2074_A-5949-423_A-85_B6-_B80_F16142_

I really don't know.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on my RRC, but that has an R380 and BW.  Are you sure it's not something to do with oil cooling or the ZF's dipstick tube?  I can't imagine they'd have bothered with such a tie rod as the hand brake cable doesn't pull the units forward like the Series hand brake rod and relay system does, but it could be a tie that was deleted with the new 300Tdi engine and transmission mounts.

15 hours ago, Snagger said:

I really don't know.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on my RRC, but that has an R380 and BW.  Are you sure it's not something to do with oil cooling or the ZF's dipstick tube?  I can't imagine they'd have bothered with such a tie rod as the hand brake cable doesn't pull the units forward like the Series hand brake rod and relay system does, but it could be a tie that was deleted with the new 300Tdi engine and transmission mounts.

RRC uses a cable so has no use for that kind of setup at all.

Yippee my money has come through, so that's another £5k I can throw at the 2a now bearing in mind £1,300 of it is for the new galv bulkhead we bought the other week which I owe out and I need another £1,200ish of it to have the g/box and tranny box refurbished / uprated which leaves me a few more quid for buying other bits so I will start a new list of stuff I need :D

10 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Wow, some of the bits i ordered the other day have started to roll in, new 300tdi rad and a pair of new galv bulkhead support brackets :D

It’ll be finished this weekend then....?😉

26 minutes ago, Snagger said:

How much did the alternator cost, and where did you get it?  I'd like to upgrade to 100A+...

Ebay, i've had them before and they are Britpart and they are great think with postage it was £140 or there abouts and well worth it, mines the 120A one 

Do you reckon you’d be able to fit that rad under the panel if you didn’t have the inter cooler to fit next to it or the steering relay?

Thinking ahead to when I fit the V8 and heard of the tdi rads being used before.

35 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Do you reckon you’d be able to fit that rad under the panel if you didn’t have the inter cooler to fit next to it or the steering relay?

Thinking ahead to when I fit the V8 and heard of the tdi rads being used before.

Maybe if you cut both the inner stifferner's / cowling off then it mite do, i trimed round where the original rad would have fitted and most of the left stifferner to fit the intercooler 

16 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Ebay, i've had them before and they are Britpart and they are great think with postage it was £140 or there abouts and well worth it, mines the 120A one 

Thanks.  I got a Britpart alternator for my RRC about a decade ago.  They're Denso, which is a good brand.  Not sure if they're as good as Gen Parts, but they're one of Britpart's good product lines.

Sorting out the plumbing is the hardest part of the conversion.  If you can move the rad forward by having it and the intercooler staggered, it'd make changing timing belts much easier.

Are you keeping original steering or fitting PAS?  That obviously limits what you can do with the rad too.

11 hours ago, Snagger said:

Sorting out the plumbing is the hardest part of the conversion.  If you can move the rad forward by having it and the intercooler staggered, it'd make changing timing belts much easier.

Are you keeping original steering or fitting PAS?  That obviously limits what you can do with the rad too.

Not sure really as i've been use to power steering with the last 3 vehicles i've had since my last S2a so half of me want's the original steering and the other half of me want's pas so i mite see how it goes and decide 🙂

An 88 with 7.50s doesn't really need PAS unless you have arm or shoulder trouble.  If you fit wider tyres, offset rims/spacers or a lot of heavy kit, then the steering loads go up.  I found the standard steering on my wife's Lightweight really good and fairly light, but terribly heavy on my 109.  So, if keeping the standard imperial tyres, it'd be easier and just as driveable to keep the standard steering, I think, and it has less to go wrong.