Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

An 88 with 7.50s doesn't really need PAS unless you have arm or shoulder trouble.  If you fit wider tyres, offset rims/spacers or a lot of heavy kit, then the steering loads go up.  I found the standard steering on my wife's Lightweight really good and fairly light, but terribly heavy on my 109.  So, if keeping the standard imperial tyres, it'd be easier and just as driveable to keep the standard steering, I think, and it has less to go wrong.

Yeah atm its on std modular's not sure if they are staying on as I would prefer L.W.B. rims with 7.50s really

13 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah atm its on std modular's not sure if they are staying on as I would prefer L.W.B. rims with 7.50s really

That'll look nicer and mean no need for PAS.  Win-win.

• Like 1

Dam, was hoping to send the g/box off to Syncro gearboxes this week but after we emailed them about it they said they wasn't taking anymore jobs on atm as they have too much work on and plan to be ready for taking on more work early Autum, so will have to wait till then ☹️

Everything I ordered the last week has now arrived, the only thing I had a problem with was the X brake kit as it got lost, possibly sent somewhere else, anyway they sent me another one out A.S.A.P. so as soon as I can send the gearbox off to Syncro gearboxes and get it back then I can fit the X brake kit 😁

After moving the intercooler back a tad towards the engine I started to fit the intercooler hoses trying different ways and settled for fitting the intercooler upside down, course the local motorist's shop didn't have any hose clips in to suit so had to order a box of them and due to the after market intercooler having 60mm inlet and outlets I've had to order 2 x 60mm x 50mm I/D reducer's and should be here in the next 48 hrs ☺️

20180723_162132.jpg

20180723_162136.jpg

20180723_162146.jpg

20180723_162155.jpg

Have you thought about fitting late Defender steel wheels? So you get the classic series look but with tubeless tyres?

its the route I’ve gone - and they do look the part.

like this set of new take-offs on eBay at the moment: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152354677668

I've decided to go with rubber hoses for the rad hoses as its just too expensive using silicon hoses aspecially if i'm going to cut them up and join them together as it would work out twice as expensive as it was doing the intercooler hoses, so I've ordered them all and should be here for weekend :)

On 7/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, Anderzander said:

They are both 5.5” rim width - though the Defender rims may have slightly less offset than either of the two types of LWB rims ... someone here can perhaps quantify that ?

...but they do fit and are the same width.

I thought LWB's ran 6.5" ?

Also ref the expense of silicone hoses - I use AutoSiliconeHoses (ASH) on eBay and they are not far off the price of half decent rubber hoses.

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Also ref the expense of silicone hoses - I use AutoSiliconeHoses (ASH) on eBay and they are not far off the price of half decent rubber hoses.

I think Series swb rims are 5'' wide, Lwb rims are 5.5'' wide......?

22 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Ok I've ordered them now but will keep that in mind as I may go silicon at some point :)