Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

On 1/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, Anderzander said:

The chap with the series 1 had a 200tdi conversion in it.

Would it be worth running it with just the diffs in to start with ? 

My last one an S2a swb 2.25p had what was suposedly an ashcroft transfer box fitted and at the time not knowing anything about ashcroft transfer boxes i fitted an o/d something i've just recently found out you can't fit on an ashcroft transfer box, anyway the gearing was very high hill climbing and towing was hard when it came to hills, anyway later i decided on replacing the engine with a disco 200tdi but keeping with the same gearing and the tdi transformed the landy hill climbing and anything i had behind it wasn't a problem but on motorways solo i found that the engine was quite noisy asthough it needed another gear i thought about fitting rr diffs but never did it then later sold the landy on.

10ish yrs on and i'm doing it all again but with me still thinking my last one had an ashcroft transfer box i wanted to do the same with this one and whilst i'm at it fit 3.54 diffs aswell which i've fitted and planned on fitting an o/d later but as said just recently found out you can't fit one so with the ashcroft H.R.T.C kit ordered and need to get the gearbox rebuilt and the H.R.T.C. kit fitted to it i want to try it all first and see how it all is first and if it is too highly geared i may swap the old std diffs back, its a shame though you can't fit an o/d would make life easier :)

Edited by Cornish Rattler
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

All looks lovely and shiny !

is that not though going to be very close to your wing? It looks like it’s level with the outside face of the chassis rail... and (last question) have you thought of using the series mount to pull it all in a bit?

Its close but clears or should do with a belt on as its hanging loose in the pic, the series mount you mean the mount you have used if so no I prefer the Disco mount tbh just struggling to get a belt as I fitted the same alt on my 90 I had last year but the only difference between the two conversions is the 90's disco tdi had the original disco crank pulley and the 2a's Disco dressed Def engine has the original Def crank pulley but I can't remember if the Disco and Def crank pulley's are the same o.d. or not and can't remember where I got the belt from for the 90, think son got it from where he worked but he doesn't work there anymore but hopefully I can get one on Monday as I've found out there is a new C.E.S. sprung up near me and I have another two motorist's shops to walk to aswell so fingers crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice !

I used the GL kit to reposition the altenator as it gave problems fitting the intercooler pipes etc. of the 200 Tdi in the Series.

This is also a very nice solution - like the multi-belt

21 hours ago, Arjan said:

Very Nice !

I used the GL kit to reposition the altenator as it gave problems fitting the intercooler pipes etc. of the 200 Tdi in the Series.

This is also a very nice solution - like the multi-belt

Yeah I know it would have been a lot easier to use two belts rather than one but I can't be doing with a two belt system always worried if one belt goes it will take the other belt out but i'm quite happy with the result up to now :)

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Looking forward hearing you experiences with them !

Yeah I've never used them myself before so hopefully everything will be ok as Syncro gearboxes have now stopped doing series gearboxes and Ashcroft wanted £2,000 to rebuild my gearbox and fit an HRTC to, Dave baumonts only want £500 for rebuilding the gearbox and building up and fitting the HRTC to the gearbox and bought the HRTC kit from Ashcrofts for £450.

Just can't wait to get it all back and fitted inc fitting the X Brake aswell :D

Very interesting to hear how you fare - friends in the UK have great need for a Series III box that needs a quality rebuild (200 Tdi in front) and also how you like the X-brake.

As soon as I find time, the Hybrid goes in the workshop for the X Brake to go on...

Bon Courage !

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Very interesting to hear how you fare - friends in the UK have great need for a Series III box that needs a quality rebuild (200 Tdi in front) and also how you like the X-brake.

As soon as I find time, the Hybrid goes in the workshop for the X Brake to go on...

Bon Courage !

Cheer's i will let you no

1 hour ago, jordan_meakin said:

Shiny bits

There's more shiny bits to go on first before I refit the gearbox inc an X brake (  disc hand brake kit ) :)

And not this week coming but the week after i'm off for a week so I will order a few more things and get a couple of more jobs done aswell :)

Edited by Cornish Rattler

Looks very, very nice.....
Interesting to see ho the X brake goes on - the ArgoCat is in the workshop right now and once that's sorted  the Hybrid goes in to fit the XBrake

Please keep them coming..