Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

One thing I can’t remember ... what kind of heater did you put in it ? 

Not going with a landy heater reason being and didn't notice it till we decided to fit the heater is mine is the square type heater with the later type bulkhead but the people who restored the replacement bulkhead had joined a later type top bulkhead to an early type bottom bulkhead so the square type heater won't fit, we could fit a round type heater which is what i was going to do but have decided on fitting an electric 12V heater instead but haven't got round to getting one yet but will do soon 🙂

Edited by Cornish Rattler

I tried one of those, and my only recommendation is don’t waste your money!

Maverick tried a modern (ish) car electric heater in his 90.  I think it was from a Peugeot.  It fit inside the original heater housing, so I don’t know if that’s any use to you.  I think your best option may be to get a fuel heater like a Webasto Airtop or Eberspächer (the copies are cheap but while the Russian Planar brand seems ok, the Chinese brands seem patchy) and fit it underneath the centre seat - there’s plenty of room above the transfer box and you can route intake and outlet ducts through the cubby or seat base (if you’re willing to cut holes in it).  That’ll also give you the benefit of being able to have a warm car with the engine off, and without rapidly draining the battery with electric heat.  You can even get timers or remote controllers to preheat the car on cold mornings before you get in!

With a 12v supply, you can't get a reasonable output from an electric heater without a bonkers current draw. OK for a demist aid, but the little series heater will look heroic by comparison. If you're looking for something effective and non land rover, try something like this:

https://www.t7design.co.uk/3-8kw-standalone-cab-heater-12v.html

A few numbers... To get 3800 Watts output from an electric heater requires 316 amps. That's a chuffing big alternator!

• Like 1