Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

We are going to the Peterborough show next weekend and looking at getting a better bulkhead and have that repaired instead and although the 2a has windows in the sides ( made to fit ) the 2a was originally a van so we are looking at getting some van sides aswell, oh and even a RR diff if we are lucky :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, Cornish Rattler said:
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:32 PM, Tal said:
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:32 PM, Tal said:

What sort of state was the gearbox in? Is it original

What sort of state was the gearbox in? Is it original

Yeah the G/box is original but as the vehicle was a runner but not drivable we didn't get chance to try the gearbox out but my mate said it looked pretty good inside and just changed a couple of bearings and resealed it :)

Yeah if we was keeping the 2a I would do that but the 2a will be sold once its done to part fund my sons wedding hence why we are doing it together :D

You'd be better off with an electric IR heater that you can move around and get instant control from, and as it only tries to warm you up, not the whole garage, it's far more effective and efficient - a log burner will take a long time to warm the garage up and once you're warm, will continue heating and you'll end up opening the doors to cool down.  The IR heater will take up less space, make no mess and can be moved for use elsewhere too when needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Snagger said:

You'd be better off with an electric IR heater that you can move around and get instant control from, and as it only tries to warm you up, not the whole garage, it's far more effective and efficient - a log burner will take a long time to warm the garage up and once you're warm, will continue heating and you'll end up opening the doors to cool down.  The IR heater will take up less space, make no mess and can be moved for use elsewhere too when needed.

Yeah I have been using a Honeywell 3000w heater but it's useless and very heavy on the electric hence why I am thinking of a log burner 

Yeah when we bought the heater early this year it must have been a bit warmer than it is now and after having it on for an hour then we thought we had cracked it as the garage felt a lot warmer which I was happy with but now the weather is colder it doesn't seem to do much other than heat up the area immediately in front of it and where I am working on the bench is about another 3 foot away from it and I can't really move the heater closer as it would always be in the way hence why I want to go with a log burner :)

IR heaters are good as Snagger says in that they heat flesh and not much else.

Usually though it's the stuff you are touching that takes the heat out of your fingers. A wood burner would certainly warm everything up but it might take a day or two to take the cold out of the heavier bits of metal.

Have you got plenty of seasoned timber?

4 hours ago, Peaklander said:

IR heaters are good as Snagger says in that they heat flesh and not much else.

Usually though it's the stuff you are touching that takes the heat out of your fingers. A wood burner would certainly warm everything up but it might take a day or two to take the cold out of the heavier bits of metal.

Have you got plenty of seasoned timber?

Sorry no I don't have any timber as yet