Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

When you talk of 24spline shafts. All apart from custom shafts are 10spline diff end but options of 10 or 24spline at drive flange end? Am I right? And is there any real benefit of 24spline flanges over 10? 

Thanks

Jom

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Jon W said:

When you talk of 24spline shafts. All apart from custom shafts are 10spline diff end but options of 10 or 24spline at drive flange end? Am I right? And is there any real benefit of 24spline flanges over 10? 

Thanks

Jom

Yeah I obviously got it wrong and thought It didn't matter which early Def / Disco1 diff I used as long it was from either of the two and bagged a cheap 24 spline diff from the Kelmarsh show a few months back fitted it and later bought the wrong shafts from paddocks as paddocks used the same pic for 10 spline shafts and 24 spline shafts and assumed I was getting std series shafts, they did state Salsbury but as the pic was the same as the 10 spline shafts and other than the 10 spline shafts they was all they was selling so assumed they was right but obviously not so I'v got a new set of rear Salsbury shafts that I can't use :(

but on the plus side I have just got hold of a good 10 spline diff so once it arrives it will be fitted and i'll be able to use my old 10 spline shafts, oh and a set of longer braided brake hoses aswell  :)

Edited by Cornish Rattler

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry its a bit late, I got the new to me diff fitted over the weekend just gone and gave the axle another lick of paint aswell :)

This will be it for now till Christmas is over then it starts all over again, my monthly budget should be better aswell so even more money to throw at the 2a to get it closer to being finished.

So all the best everyone hope you all have a great Christmas and a happy new year see you soon :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had a bit of a re-read 😊

Did you paint that diff you put in the rear axle? It looks a great finish on it.

Couple more questions (and sorry if I’ve missed the answers) - What clutch are going with? Will you be painting the block?

Enjoying following this 

17 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Just had a bit of a re-read 😊

Did you paint that diff you put in the rear axle? It looks a great finish on it.

Couple more questions (and sorry if I’ve missed the answers) - What clutch are going with? Will you be painting the block?

Enjoying following this 

Yeah I hand painted the diff and repainted the whole axle again, I won't be painting the block as I don't have anywhere suitable for cleaning it down as the slabs outside the garage are only layed loose as it was so muddy getting in and out of the garage, hoping to lift them and relay them properly and sealed so it will be easier for doing stuff outside :mellow:

I hand painted my block and it came out pretty good. It was a bit lanour intensive, getting it clean(er) with little wire brushes and wiping it down with solvents. I found it strangely addictive....  I bought the right colour paint for the engine that would have been in my Series engine and it looks good.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, Anderzander said:

I hand painted my block and it came out pretty good. It was a bit lanour intensive, getting it clean(er) with little wire brushes and wiping it down with solvents. I found it strangely addictive....  I bought the right colour paint for the engine that would have been in my Series engine and it looks good.

Since you mentioned it the other day its been playing on my mind so have decided on getting some BMC Green engine paint and paint it and do the rocker cover and inlet manifold in silver :)

I've got a long weekend off next weekend and the new S.P. exhaust, manifold and engine paint should be here by then so I should get plenty done, these last two months saving for Christmas has been doing my head in seeing nowt being done on the 2a and once my son gets married in a few months time the 2a should come on pretty well after that :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I think that’s a good plan - though I’d just put a gentle wire brush on the inlet manifold - mine came up quite nicely.

in my ‘look what I brought home’ thread you can see some pictures of how it came up.

That looks great, mite paint the timing case and back plate on mine the same colour I'm painting the block as they aren't as shiny as yours.

I see you have gone the 300tdi manifold way the same as me what dipstick are you using mines a Def 200tdi dipstick and just worried if a bend the tube to much I may not get the correct level :)

It’s such a long time since I bought it that I can barely remember - but I think it’s a Discovery 300tdi dip stick I’ve bought... I think it’s still got the part number on it though. I’ll have a look later on.

Its been off so long I can’t remember where the o ring goes in relation to the olive.

22 hours ago, Anderzander said:

It’s such a long time since I bought it that I can barely remember - but I think it’s a Discovery 300tdi dip stick I’ve bought... I think it’s still got the part number on it though. I’ll have a look later on.

Its been off so long I can’t remember where the o ring goes in relation to the olive.

I've just looked at it again and realised a 300tdi has a yellow knob on the end and most 200tdi's Def and Disco has a green knob on the so think yours is a 200tdi one :)

Discovery 200 has a green plastic ring, while the 300 has a yellow plastic rectangle end.  The 200 type fits the block with an olive and male threaded sleeve, while the 300 type has a rubbur o-ring and us pressed into a plain drilling, held in place only by the upper bracket.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Snagger said:

Discovery 200 has a green plastic ring, while the 300 has a yellow plastic rectangle end.  The 200 type fits the block with an olive and male threaded sleeve, while the 300 type has a rubbur o-ring and us pressed into a plain drilling, held in place only by the upper bracket.

So I take it a 300 dipstick tube won't fit then