Mounting Auto Dead Pedal

Hi

To those who have done an auto conversion - where did you mount the dead pedal?

I've just got one, and it looks it's a case of drilling 3 holes on the side of the bulkhead - there doesn't appear to be any existing holes that it would line up with. Is it just a case of finding a spot that feels 'comfy' and taking the plunge? :wacko:

Cheers

Jon

I'll dig out the parts manual

I had a look at the parts info that I use on here, found this Footrest automatic ------------ in interior trim section

http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=769402&SPRACHE=EN

the footrest part

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/84292/2691/footrest

the mounting bracket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FOOTREST-BRACKET-DEFENDER-RANGE-ROVER-4-0-4-6-P38-NEW-BTR1875-/350225888345

• 2 months later...

Bizarrely, my '95 RRC has one, despite being factory fitted with an R380. It's a nuisance as it stops me stretching my leg on long drives.

I'd recommend you try driving without one first, and if you find it uncomfortable, then fit one after sitting in the car for a bit with varied trial positions until you find what you want. You could always make slotted holes to allow adjustment.

I will be in the position of fitting the Ashcroft item to my 300TDi soon as I am currently in the process of fitting an auto conversion.

I will leave it off at first to see how I get along without one and only then will I decide on whether to fit it and if so, the exact position that is comfortable for me.

Another consideration is my pedal lock, I have to make sure that it isn't going to interfere with that.

• 9 months later...

As someone has resurrected this old thread..............................

Decided against the footrest, after nearly a year of driving the auto I have not felt the need to rest my left foot on anything other than the floor. Took it back to Ashcroft for a refund.

X-Eng pedal lock fits fine, even with the larger foot-plate & rubber.

I like the foot rest but it will depend on your own size and preference. I appreciate they aren't for everyone.  How do you find the fat pedal ? I haven't put mine on yet. Worried it might make the pedal noticeably higher. Does it seem like the rest pedal would block the pedal lock ?

23 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

I like the foot rest but it will depend on your own size and preference. I appreciate they aren't for everyone.  How do you find the fat pedal ? I haven't put mine on yet. Worried it might make the pedal noticeably higher. Does it seem like the rest pedal would block the pedal lock ?

I created a 'fat' brake pedal by welding a piece of metal either side of the original Defender brake pedal, sufficient to keep a standard RRC or Disco auto pedal rubber in place. This worked perfectly with the X pedal lock.

I noticed a while back that the dead pedal on my RRC is quite bent, presumably from someone pushing against it. I never bothered straightening it. I guess it can't be that stronger an assembly.

I fitted mine a while back, but forgot about the thread :unsure:

There is a hole for one of the panel fixings there already, I used this as the rearmost hole, put it on at a comfy (to me!) angle and drilled the front two holes. I find it worthwhile, but I've got stumpy legs which don't reach the bulkhead!

5 hours ago, =jon= said:

I fitted mine a while back, but forgot about the thread :unsure:

There is a hole for one of the panel fixings there already, I used this as the rearmost hole, put it on at a comfy (to me!) angle and drilled the front two holes. I find it worthwhile, but I've got stumpy legs which don't reach the bulkhead!

Any pictures? or measurements :)

I'm about to send my bulkhead for galvanising and once it goes back on the 110 will be auto so ideally want to drill prior to galv :)

I have the same footrest from Ashcroft

Cheers

Here you go. I *think* that the back hole was there already with one of the plastic push pin things the same as the other two in the pic, so I enlarged the hole, loosely bolted it up, sat in it, set the angle and drilled the other holes. 

footrest.jpg